Oatey Drain question

Users who are viewing this thread

Dozer327

Reaction score
Hey guys I just finished up redoing my bathroom and installed a new shower pain with the brass Oatey no caulk drain. I followed the instructions and ensured the pipe was 3/4 down from the top of the flange. It seems to holding up great but I did notice water pooling around the compression ring. The good news is its not leaking as the water has stayed around it. Did I do something wrong or is this a normal thing? Can I put a bead of silicone around the ring?

Any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_419.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_419.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 143

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
If the rubber is recessed to the top of the pipe, then, yes, water hangs on to the edges of the castelated brass ring. Normal.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Normal but Ive always found it as hokey to have pooled water but thats just how it is. looking at it it just seems wrong but thats how it is

Dozer327

Reaction score
Normal but Ive always found it as hokey to have pooled water but thats just how it is. looking at it it just seems wrong but thats how it is
Could I put a bead of silicone around it? Do you think that would prevent the pooling? It does mention it on Oateys instructions, but wanted to know how everyone else felt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks