Nut won't come off pipe after removing shutoff valve

Users who are viewing this thread

asenk

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm about to install a new toilet, and I wanted to replace the shutoff valve because its one of those old ones where the tube is part of the shutoff valve.

I removed the valve, but the nut wont come off the pipe. What should I do? Should I just reuse the nut? It seems to be the same size as the 1/4 turn shutoff valve I bought.

After pushing the nut as far as baCk as I could, it seems the copper ring is preventing it from coming off.

Please help im w/o water =(
IMAGE_215.jpg

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That is a compression fitting, and the ferrule is holding the nut on the pipe. There is a ferrule puller (tool) made specifically for removing this, but you might have trouble finding one at the big box stores.

If the old nut fits the new valve, you should be able to re-use it.

sleeve_puller_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
I agree you should be able to reuse the nut and ferrel.
As long as the the treads match and there are no leaks you should be fine.
I spent about $30 for my puller, works well, but I often wonder if its worth the effort.

sleeve_puller_1.jpg

asenk

Reaction score
Spoke too soon. There is a VERY slight leakage. Nothing dripping or anything. The nut will be wet around the bottom after a few hours. I would say less than a tear drop of water. I dont know if maybe i can try to tighten it more or something else?

Is there a change the ferrule puller will damage the pipe so the new valve won't hold correctly?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
First off, are you sure it isn't just sweating? Wipe it dry and check again later without using any water. I'd try a little pipe dope on it if it still leaks.

The more you tighten it, the harder it will be to take off if you do have to change it out. It's too bad they cut the stub so short that there's no room to cut it off.

Will Rogers Plumbing

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.willrogersplumbing.com
On the older compression stops the ferrule sat further back on the piping then they do on the newer stops. Cut a 1/4" off the end of the copper pipe with a mini hack saw and apply a small amount of pipe dope to the ferule(some people claim that is not needed, but read the instructions on the stop. It says to apply a small amount of oil or lubricant when installing(pipe dope).

PS over tightening a compression fitting will not help, it will make it worse and you will have to open up the wall and stub out with new piping if you over tighten the ferrule.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is possible to overtighten the nut , but if you feel you did not overly torque it, then at this point I would try an additional 1/4 turn on the nut..no more..to see if it would stop the drip. The ferrule puller is still the other option

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I removed a stop the other day with a lot of goo on it. It had been overtightened, reducing the size of the pipe. Normally you can just slide off the nut and sleeve. If someone has gooed it up and overtightened the nut, then cutting some off the pipe may be needed.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
cacher...I have had that puller ( mine is not red!) for about 20 years, and it is worth its weight in gold! That and my insinkerator snap-ring installer tool.

asenk

Reaction score
LLigetfa: Sweating?

I wrapped a tissue around the nut and left it over night; it is a little bit damp.

I m pretty sure i did not over tighten with the new valve on. I dont have two wrenches that so i basically used one hand and one wrench to tighten it. So maybe

Someone else told me to try use thread seal tape around the ferrule. Will that work besides pipe dope?

How can I tell if the previous person overtightened? Would I stick my finger into the pipe and feel if there's some kind of bend?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Sweating - when warm humid air contacts a cold surface. You know, like a cold beer.

Don't use teflon tape in place of dope. If it creaks when you're tightening it, you've gone too far.

If it was overtightened, the compression ring gets swaged onto the pipe and won't come off.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without two wrenches, you may not be getting it properly tight. In any case, with one, you're putting a lot more stress on things than you should.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Wrenches? Real plumbers, don't need no stinkin' wrenches. The ones I see on TV use water pump pliers.

reed-pliers.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Ideally, two wrenches, but a pair of pliers will work, too. Easier to scratch things, though. Anyway, you really need to hold the body of the valve while trying to turn the nut.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Teflon Tape?
It had to be a plumber wannabe at one of the big box stores.

Absolutely no Tape! How many times do we need to say that here?

ferrule-blaster-1.jpg

Here is a new product I just bought. It works very quickly and works in those tight spots where it's hard to turn the bar.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks