Noticed a lot of toilets have pieces of toilet paper from previous use

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Mitchell

Reaction score
I have noticed newer toilets in public places have debris left from previous use. Based on this experience I have concluded the 1.28 gpf toilets are designed to almost but not quite remove all contents for each flush. I also noted the MAP specifications quietly dropped the requirement for complete removal of the water when flushed. Are my observations correct? Should I go for the 1.6 gpf with the hope it will work better?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are plenty of 1.28's that work great. If someone is leaving paper behind, that might have been left after they flushed as an afterthought.

In a commercial bathroom, they may have pressure assist, which can shred the paper and leave bits in the bowl. I don't see that with gravity flush toilets, the kind you mainly see in homes.
I've sold and installed a few thousand toilets now, and the new stuff is working really well.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pressure assisted toilets tend to shred things. This has advantages and disadvantages. The pressure verses gravity, can move things faster, moving some stuff that might not make it otherwise, but in the process, it breaks things up into pieces, and those are harder to totally evacuate. Then, not everyone has done their homework and made their toilets work well with less water, whether is gravity or pressure assisted.

Mark Mitchell

Reaction score
Thanks all. The paper left behind is small particles of toilet paper so it is from previous flush. A lot of these are To To units at Walmart.

I have seen 1,28 gpf units that impressed me with the thoroughness of the flush as well. Most 1.28 gpf units are not MAP 1,000+ gram rated but are a lesser amount. Perhaps they flush great in most situations in spite of not being 1000+ rated.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Totos at WalMart are going to be tankless vacuum-breaker valve toilets that push a large burst of water in there, and will sometimes shred the paper the way a pressure-assist will. The kind of 1.28gpf Toto that you're going to put in your house won't do this. I have a couple, and they work as you describe -- evacuate everything from the bowl and then refill.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing to consider as the flush volume gets smaller...the size and depth of the water spot must also become smaller (at least one of those dimensions!). You still want to completely evacuate the bowl with each flush, and unlike toilets of old where the bowl might have held 3-4 gallons and maybe used 5-6 gallons to flush, you can't do that anymore. So, the bowls' shape has changed in both area and depth to accommodate the smaller flush volume. At some point, while they may still work, the waste may not be covered by the water in the bowl, but it still can be evacuated during a flush. It can make keeping the bowl clean harder, but some of that depends a lot on the diet and health of the person using it. That's one reason why short-cycling the flush may not be such a great idea since it might just end up diluting things verses clearing the bowl entirely. This is also an issue with dual-flushing toilets...they want to evacuate the bowl even on a low flush, so the bowl doesn't hold as much water as a similar single flush design.

The flushometer type toilets are essentially similar to a pressure-assisted tank-type toilet in that they are using water pressure verses gravity to flush, which is slower and lower pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks