Not sure where to Start - low well pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

CouzinX

Reaction score
After reading a few posts relating to my low water pressure, I'm still at a loss of what the issues might be.

Up until a few weeks ago, my water pressure was decent, but have noticed a decline especially if more than one water source is turned on.

Here are some details :

Pressure gauge sits at 28psi - when I turn on a tap, it drops to above 20psi.

Tank pressure is 35psi (yes - power turned off and water released from tank - took all of 3-5 seconds for gauge to drop to 0psi) No apparent water leaking from the schraeder valve. No apparent sand or dirt that came out while draining

Pressure Switch 40/60

Tank - Utilitech 86gal Vertical tank 100 psi Max Tank has a date of 5/7/2012.

Control panel - Franklin Electric 1hp

Other details to which I cannot confirm - Written on control panel shows the follow:
Date - 7/19/1995
283 T.D.
191 W.L.

Pump Set 253

Before and after I testing the tank pressure, the gauge on the pump never rises above 28 and I never hear the pressure switch engage. I did verify power to the switch. It appears nothing is in alignment in regards to pressure switch to tank pressure to gauge, etc. It's a holiday weekend and I'll wait till the working week to call a pro, if necessary, but wanted to see where I should be looking to get going.

Bad switch? Control Panel? (potential 27 years old) Tank? (potentially 10 years old) I don't wanna just throw parts at the problem.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Andy

Reach4

Reaction score
Pressure gauge is bad. Replace that first, and gather more data. Alternatively, for now, get a garden-hose-thread pressure gauge, and connect that to the tank drain valve. A farm store will probably have the 1/4 MIP pressure gauge in stock. 0-100 is preferable to 0-200 psi for the gauge. A hardware store or garden will have the GHT pressure gauge in stock.

Typically, if you have a 230 volt pump, you can measure the output of the pressure gauge between terminals 2 and 3. Remember to set the meter for AC volts.

Last edited:

CouzinX

Reaction score
I did replace the the pressure gauge - today it's reading 26 psi. Checked voltage at the pressure switch at reads 242. Still no activitiy from the pump or the switch. Just seeing the post for checking amps. Going to replace the pressure switch later today and see if I have a bad switch.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the output of the pressure switch is 242 VAC, the switch is doing all it can. A new switch could do no more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks