Not sure what is wrong with hot water in my house..

Users who are viewing this thread

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
The unfortunate thing about this situation is that you can fix one leak only to have another spring up elsewhere...

I'd like to see as much pipe replaced as possible in a given repair, on my home.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your picture doesn't show, but your text implies the water pipes are run in the slab. While somewhat common, it's not the greatest idea and if they do fail, it is a major expense to repair. And, if you have one leak, it is not at all uncommon to have another either soon, or reasonably soon thereafter. Sometimes, the most prudent thing is to replumb the lines either through the walls, or attic.

ExcelPrem

Reaction score
First off, I'd like to thank everyone that gave me advice and tried to help! It was greatly appreciated :)

So the plumber replaced the whole pipe, he didn't need to dig and remove the tiles since he just cut a hole through one of the walls and replaced the whole pipe cause who knows if another leak will happen in the near future. The hot water works fine now but my wallet is a lot lighter...$600 for the fix lol..

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
So did I miss something, I thought there was a leak in the slab?

Does your piping not go inside the slab?

ExcelPrem

Reaction score
I think underneath the slab, so they were able to find an alternative and cut a piece of the wall to find the leaking pipe, replacing it all.

Lburk

Technical Training Manager
Reaction score
Stop all water use and see if the water meter still moves. If it moves, you have a leak. I fail to see how a leak would cause your water to be less hot unless it's leaking so fast the heater cannot keep up. When not using hot water for a while, the hot outlet should feel less hot and the cold inlet, less cold.

It's actually quite common for a slab leak (leak under the slab) to consume so much hot water that the water heater has a hard time keeping up with the demand placed on it by the leak alone not to mention the actual usage demand. I have seen this many times.

As mentioned before, stopping all water usage and the checking to see if the meter is spinning is not an absolute however because if you have a faucet, valve or toilet running that you are unaware of, the meter will still spin. Shutting off the hot water is a good way to diagnose if you have a slab leak but keep the hot water off for a couple of hours to make sure it cools well, then turn the hot water back on to see if the floor heats up again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks