Not sure what did I mess up here : ( P trap wont drain anymore :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Imcool

Reaction score
The Sink drain broke so I replaced it.

Before sink drain replacement, everything was functioning properly until I disassembled abs piping out and the Rubber join coupler (abs 1 1/2 to copper 1 1/4). After reassembling it, the P trap is not draining correctly, and it only drains when the nut of the Rubber join coupler is kept loose ( Check photo ) .

However, if it is kept loose, it leaks drain water. Previously, the same Rubber coupler/joiner was working fine before I opened it.

Could you kindly suggest a solution for fixing this issue with the current setup?

Alternatively, would it be possible for you to recommend a better replacement or installation method that would prevent this issue from recurring in the future?

Unfortunately, I cannot remove the copper drain pipe as it goes into the basement, and it would be quite inconvenient to replace it at this time. Thank you for your kind assistance.

K9ra1fz.png

Jn3pcxW.jpg

CdSgw4R.jpg

AWmPVuX.jpg

Neqqe4O.jpg

Last edited:

Imcool

Reaction score
You have no vent, so it is easy to explain why it won't drain. Time for a licensed plumbing pro.
why was it working before i changed the broken sink drain then? please check last photo.
" Time for a licensed plumbing pro" reply doesnt help,

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. Breplum is right about the vent. You could add a mechanical vent if this is allowed in your jurisdiction. Check out this video. You will want to make sure the mechanical vent is as high as possible in the cabinet … by rights, I believe it is supposed to be six inches above the flood level of the fixture, but it has been a while since I have read the associated code. Also, try to be a little neater with the cement … I try yo have my work look neat, even when I am the only guy going to see it.

Last edited:

DAMiller

Reaction score
Before sink drain replacement, everything was functioning properly until I disassembled abs piping out and the Rubber join coupler (abs 1 1/2 to copper 1 1/4). After reassembling it, the P trap is not draining correctly, and it only drains when the nut of the Rubber join coupler is kept loose ( Check photo ) .
Just checking, but is the concern with the sink not draining or the P-trap not draining? The trap should retain a certain amount of water.

Reach4

Reaction score
Weird. Neither bowl will drain, even when both stoppers are out?

When the right bowl is empty, and you put water into the garbage disposal, will the right bowl back up more than 3 inches deep?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You diagnosed it already! The fact that when you tightened down the rubber clamp all the way it stopped working was the key. That tiny leak was the vent. It allowed just enough air in to break the siphon.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes when a ptrap is glued up if water is in the bottom the glue will drip down and dry accross the bottom a paper thin barrier, causing a stoppage of sorts or a small passage that can easily catch stuff or slow flow. True about the hose clamp indicating the venting issue though
Sink is improperly vented , but it shouldnt have water in it that just sits for like an hour. it should drain just slower.
Add an AAV for sure, stick around study a bit more and try to learn a little maybe get that reworked under there. I hope too you get around to cleanning up the installation under there .
This and much more is total DIY and most of us on this forum want to help, I think thats what its all about.

Imcool

Reaction score
Weird. Neither bowl will drain, even when both stoppers are out?

When the right bowl is empty, and you put water into the garbage disposal, will the right bowl back up more than 3 inches deep?
yes, it did that as well but when I removed the frenco it drained well.
so i am adding AAV now.

Reach4

Reaction score
yes, it did that as well but when I removed the frenco it drained well.
so i am adding AAV now.
There is something else wrong too. Bad venting by itself will not cause bad draining.

A drain line belly down the line could maybe cause that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks