Not so level tub

Users who are viewing this thread

jphelps

Reaction score
I recently installed a new Kohler cast iron tub and while checking it for level I found that it slopes slightly away from the drain. The slope is very slight, the tub drains correctly, and there is no movement of the tub in any direction. My question is, how important is it to have the tub absolutely level?
Also, the tub flange does not touch all of the studs on the surrounding walls, is this an issue?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sort of depends on which way it slopes and if it is going to be used as a shower as well. You don't want water sitting in a corner or drain out of the tub onto the floor. How far out is it?

jphelps

Reaction score
It's not too far off level, maybe slightly over an 1/8", but unfortunately it slopes away from the drain. It is level in the direction from the skirt side to the wall. I half filled the tub and all of the water drains out.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally when I set a tub, I put a level on the floor first.
Find out the high point, and set the stringer on the back wall based on that with a level.
If the apron needs shimming, then shim it to level.

Most homes that have been around a while, have shifted or sagged some.
When you go to tile the walls, an out of level tub will rear it's ugly head.

jphelps

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I hadn't even thought about how the un-level tub would affect the tiling! Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks