Not quite bottomed ABS pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

PatrickM

Reaction score
I'm replacing a closet flange and needed to cut back the existing 3" ABS horizontal pipe. I'm finding that I'm having trouble getting the fittings to insert all the way on the existing pipe.

Here's my setup: exsting pipe connects to a coupler, coupler to new piece of 3" pipe, then 4x3 hub x hub closet elbow, 4" vertical piece, then 4x3 closet flange.

Before starting gluing, I did a couple practice runs with left over pieces of new pipe and some couplers. These practice runs went fine, got all the pipe to bottom, joints looked good, etc.

The old pipe seems to fit much more tightly into the couplers than the new pipe does though. When I glued the first coupler, I pushed it on with a quarter turning motion but was only able to get it to insert 1-1/4" (full depth is 1-1/2" so it's 1/4" shy). Is this going to be a problem? ...see some pics below.

There's room to cut if off and try again but I'm not confident I'll do any better the next try. And if I fail again I won't have much room for a third try before the wye that connects to the stack.

Is there any reason why the old pipe might have trouble bottoming in new fittings?

ABS glue joint 1.PNG
ABS glue joint 2.PNG

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it's slightly ovaled from sitting in a hanger under tension it'll have trouble bottoming out. It won't cause a problem other than your measurements will be off. Just don't measure or cut pipe until your new coupling is glued into the old pipe.

PatrickM

Reaction score
If it's slightly ovaled from sitting in a hanger under tension it'll have trouble bottoming out. It won't cause a problem other than your measurements will be off. Just don't measure or cut pipe until your new coupling is glued into the old pipe.
Thanks! ...I plan on measuring as I go.

Is there a way to test these repairs after I've done them? I've got the ceiling open and plan on having it that way for a couple months. Is it sufficient to just use the toilet and see if it leaks?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks! ...I plan on measuring as I go.

Is there a way to test these repairs after I've done them? I've got the ceiling open and plan on having it that way for a couple months. Is it sufficient to just use the toilet and see if it leaks?
Yeah testing isn't practical.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
are you talking about the coupling in picture glued on one side , having about 1 /16th inch to go ? If so dont worry that joint looks aok almost perfect to me

PatrickM

Reaction score
are you talking about the coupling in picture glued on one side , having about 1 /16th inch to go ? If so dont worry that joint looks aok almost perfect to me
Yes. At the top of the second picture (and in the first, but it's fuzzy), you can see that it's got a bit more than that to go...maybe 1/8" or at most 1/4". After I posted, I realized that the fitting actually went on kind of diagonally...maybe the pipe wan't actually perfectly square.

But thanks for the reassurance. ...first time gluing ABS so I'm a bit nervous about it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks