Not on the cutting edge,for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Finished another washer/dryer move today. New house. The connections were moved from the side wall to the end wall in the laundry room so the owners could do some cabinets on the long wall.
All the single pole breakers in the panel had reset buttons like a GFCI. Except four. I'm familiar with the arc-fault breakers for the bedrooms, and usually there are half a dozen in the panel on new houses. Obviously, some new rules have been instituted without my knowledge or consent. The reset buttons are purple. What's going on?

Stuff

Reaction score
Have you been out of work for a while? AFCIs for living and dining rooms started back in 2008. They recently added kitchens and laundry. GFCI is now needed for dishwashers.

I think the purple are the dual function GFCI/AFCI breakers.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Code requires them (GFCI/AFCI) for most circuits in the latest code from what I have heard.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last new house panel I built didn't have arc-fault breakers. Funny how fast time goes by, but I haven't done a new panel in 15 years or so. I'd heard of them, and they were on the market about the time, but I never installed any in a new house. Every time I hear a noise out at the road I look out the window to see if it's yankee cavalry coming.

I've been working, Stuff, but it's all been repair and remodeling. Kind of good. The only part I liked about new houses was doing the panel and maybe the service entrance. Sitting on a bucket all day installing outlets is one more piece of boring hell to me. Rather be figuring out problems and fixing things on the plumbing and wiring. All that keeps me interested.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks