Not computers, just stuff....

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Does anyone know why approximately 85% of all vehicles on the road have the gas fill up on the drivers side? You would think it would be half and half.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
At one time my wife's car and mine had the gas fill on opposite sides, it sucked pulling up on the wrong side 50% of the time.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
The reason why most are on the left side is that the majority of the world uses LHD cars. Only UK, Japan, and a few others are RHD. With the filler on the left, it is easier to fill (don't have to walk around the car).

I believe it used to be that the US cars were typically filled on the right side and other cars were mostly filled on the left. Now, it really is a mix with multiple cars sharing a single platform and many foreign cars being built in the US.

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
Back in the 60's, I had a car with the gas fill pipe behind the rear license plate (kind of a spring loaded flap to pull down the license plate). Maybe not real good if you get rear-ended, but you never pulled up on the wrong side of the gas pump.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
When the Moon is in the 7th house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars, then peace will guide the planet, and we will know the answer to all things....:cool:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Mom's old Pontiac Sunfire filled on the passenger side.
Used to drive me crazy when gas was cheap and everyone was lined up att the pumps, there was no way i could get gas.
How do you line up backwards, the fricken hose wouldn't be long enough to reach the other side.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_0bEHJY9oo

[video=youtube;d_0bEHJY9oo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_0bEHJY9oo[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Asktom

Reaction score
I have one rig with the filler on the left, and one with the filler on the right. To top it off the hood release on one is in the exact location the filler flap release is on the other. If you think pulling up with the pump on the wrong side is bad, try doing that and then popping the hood.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I suppose they place it in the spot that allows the gas to enter the tank the soonest...that would be determined by where the tank is located and why they locate the tank there is just another question...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks