Norris Thermador toilet manufactured in 1965 needs replacement valve - What is the best one to use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tazbom

Reaction score
I have a pair of 50 year old Norris Thermador toilets. The valves need to be replaced on each as they are running when not in use. Can you tell me which replacement valve I should use and why? Also, where is the best place to purchase that valve? I could do it in person or via the internet. I live in Southern California. Any help is much appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For repair parts, any current fill valve with an adjustment.
Korky 528MP MaxPerformanc or Fluidmaster PerformanceMax
Also a flapper for a 2" flush valve.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
As we have said in other threads, if they are RUNNING, it doesn't necessarily mean that the fill valve needs replacing.

If it's running, it's most likely running because the seal at the flapper is failing. That's the flapper on the flush valve. Water is leaving the tank, and the fill valve is working properly to dutifully replace the missing water.

If the toilet is running and the water is overflowing the top of the overflow riser (the vertical tube) and going down the flush valve that way, then, yes, you need to replace or adjust the fill valve. Use the ones that Terry recommends above. I like the Korky better, FWIW.

The easiest test is to turn off the water to the fill valve at the wall. Mark the level of water in the tank. Leave it overnight. If the water level has dropped, you most likely just need a new flapper. Other things could be wrong with the flush valve, but step one is to change the flapper. Korky makes a number of 2" flappers that will work. Any universal one should be fine, as long as your flush valve has the little wings to attach it to. If not, you use the Korky Plus Classic Flapper (model 2000), and loop the round part around the overflow riser and push it down so it covers the flush valve hole. Easy. That flapper works fine on most toilets with wings on the flush valve; you just cut off the little loop. But as I say, there are other Korky flappers that will also work well if the flush valve has the little wings/hooks. https://www.korky.com/

If it's gunky in your tank, it can't hurt to take a little Brillo and lightly scrub the circumfrance of the flush valve hole, where it will touch the flapper to make a seal. If there's a lot of gunk on there, sometimes it can make the flapper stand off the hole just enough to cause a slow leak.

Let us know how it's going as you move along with the project.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
As to where to purchase, if you are near a Home Depot, they have the Korky MaxPerformance fill valve:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-QuietFill-Platinum-Fill-Valve-528MCM/203145423

Ace has the Korky 2000BP flapper in an Ace Blister Pack, and it is also available at the major consumer retail sites. Search for 2000BP or Korky 2000.

Lowes has the 2000 flapper in a little kit along with glue and a new ring to put around the circumference of the flush valve to make a better seal (the kit, with the 2000 flapper, is model 2003). You can buy that for $6 and start out just using the flapper.

A buck or so more at HD: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-2-in-Easy-Fix-Flush-Valve-Repair-Kit-2003PK/100147930

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This will not be very tactful, but I'm going to say it anyway. You live in a state that is desperately short of water, and you want to safe two toilets that use triple the amount of water to flush than new low flow models use? That is unbelievable!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks