Normal for water to come out of open dishwasher inlet on garbage disposal?

Users who are viewing this thread

larsonist

Reaction score
It’s for a new kitchen remodel. I just had a new single basin sink installed. I’m setting up an Insinkerator garbage disposal right now and then will install the dishwasher, air gap (WA State), and drain hose. My plumber must not have anticipated a 10” deep sink and garbage disposal, so my disposal outlet drain is only about 1/2” higher than the waste arm, and it required me getting the reversible j-bend. So I know it’s less than ideal and really should be turned the other direction.

Because of this, I wanted to test each component, one by one, rather than hook everything up and potentially have multiple issues that I need to identify.

So for now, I have the sink — > disposal —> P-trap. I already knocked out the plug on the dishwasher inlet and don’t have a hose on there. I ran the water for about 7-10 seconds and water started coming out of the dishwasher inlet above the drain.

I’m unfamiliar with disposals, so I’m not sure if this is expected or if this is a sign of things to come that I’m going to have a backup issue once everything gets setup?

larsonist

Reaction score
Yeah, I understand that. I was just trying to get feedback on whether it’s normal for water to come out that far up, or if that’s a sign that I’m going to have backup issues down the road.

I didn’t anticipate it would come out up there or I would have kept the knockout until I was ready to hook the dishwasher drain to it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes its normal . to have water come out hole thats why it comes plugged off we dont want open pipes under a sink

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks