Normal bladder tank behavor?

Users who are viewing this thread

RoughEdges

Reaction score
Is this expected behavior?
System is an above ground 1HP pump, with new pressure gauge, into a new Amtrol wx203 bladder tank. Tank pressure is 38 when empty. Pump set to 40/60.
When pressure gauge on pump hits 40, it then shows a rapid (5-8 second ) drop to about 20psi, at which point pump kicks on. Gauge then jumps (instantly) to about 40, and pump runs a few minutes to 60, at which point it turns off.
Is the rapid drop I see on the gauge from 40-20 normal? I don't see any interruptions in water flow from fixtures.
Thanks for any advice.

Reach4

Reaction score
You would usually set precharge air to 36 PSI for a 40/60 pressure switch with a jet pump. That is to work with the slower response of a normal jet pump vs a submersible.

But that does not explain a 5 second lag for the pump to turn on. Is your pressure gauge on the same nipple as the pressure switch? If not, clean/replace the nipple to the pressure switch. If that does not solve the problem, replace the pressure switch. Maybe just do both anyway.
I don't see any interruptions in water flow from fixtures.
That is odd. With the precharge at 38 and the pressure dropping below 38, the pressure tank has no water to give. The pump has not yet started. What is supplying water? I would suspect that you somehow missed seeing the interruption at the fixtures.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the gauge dropped to zero you would see an interruption of flow. Since it only drops to 20, you are not seeing the interruption, but it is there. A pump won't hesitate 5-8 seconds after it gets power. The pressure switch can hesitate to give the pump power for 5-8 seconds, probably because the nipple or tube to the pressure switch is clogged.

RoughEdges

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info and advice.
I cleaned out the pressure tube and nipples. There was some gunk in there. The gauge needle drop is now 1-2 seconds, much faster. Now that I observe closely I do see that a running faucet starts to fade, maybe 10%, in pressure in that lag.
To answer other question, the gauge is mounted in the pump block, same cavity the pressure tube taps into.

Should I be replacing the switch? I might guess it is not pristine internally - original on an 18 year old pump and the water here is very acidic.

Thanks again

RoughEdges

Reaction score
Installed new Sq D switch, turn on is instant at lower threshold now.
Thanks again to all who provided input and advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks