Noritz Tankless Battery Backup

Users who are viewing this thread

Bodhisan

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Goal Zero Yeti 1,000 will power a Noritz? Apparently it has an inverter that produces a pure sine wave. Another question: My Noritz has two power plugs, one for the unit and then another that goes to what looks like a pump*...I can't seem to find anything in the information they gave me about the latter...

*edited to report this pump goes to the furnace/heat pump...:)

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What is the current draw of the tankless system? A UPS that delivers a true sine-wave is better than one that makes an approximation...some electronics don't care, some won't work right with one of the approximations. Depending on the load, you may not have very much time.

Bodhisan

Reaction score
It's less than 4 amps. Goal Zero claims it to be a pure sine wave. I guess I could just get it at Costco, and if it won't do it, return it. It's a gas unit, so you'd think the electric draw would be minimal.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
4A * 120vac = 480W. That's actually a fair amount. It depends on how long you want it to keep the tankless system running. The standby power draw is likely much less than that, but with flow, at 480W, most UPS won't last all that long. Most are designed to be big enough to let you do an orderly shutdown of say a computer system...not power it on for ages. An orderly shutdown usually doesn't take more than a few minutes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks