Non-standard flange removal/install

Users who are viewing this thread

sean_cabbagetown

Reaction score
Hey there guys - great forum with lot's of useful tips.

I am replacing my toilet, which should be an easy job, however the previous owners appear to have done some sort of complicated install job previously.

If you check out the photos, it looks like a 4" abs pipe with an abs bush fitting glued inside (or similar), and the original flange was attached to that (I don't have a before photo).

Based on the internal diameter a twist in or push tite won't fit, so I think that leaves me with a Oatey 4" over/external flange. My question is:

1. Any issues with an external flange like this?
  2. Any special installation instructions? The internet doesn't have much (I assumed ABS cleaner and cement is sufficient).
  3. Anything else you would try?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_3141.jpeg
    IMG_3141.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3142.jpeg
    IMG_3142.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_3148.jpeg
    IMG_3148.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_3149.jpeg
    IMG_3149.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_3152.jpeg
    IMG_3152.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_3153.jpeg
    IMG_3153.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 190

Reach4

Reaction score
If you check out the photos, it looks like a 4" abs pipe with an abs bush fitting glued inside (or similar), and the original flange was attached to that (I don't have a before photo).
My guess would be a 3 inch fitting with an ABS closet flange glued to it. Then most of it was cut away. I don't have high confidence in that guess.

My shortcut approach might be to put down a wax ring with a Danco Hydroseat over that.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What kind of access to you have below if you need to make a cut there?
If I need to ream out a pipe from a fitting, I use something like in the picture below.

reed-pipe-reamer-2.jpg

A Reed pipe reamer and a Rambit.

It looks to me like it may have been a closet flange with a hub glued onto a 3" ABS pipe.
They also make in inside flange that may work for that.

The one below pushes inside a pipe.

neorest-install-03.jpg

sean_cabbagetown

Reaction score
Thanks guys - think you are right.

Access is limited from underneath, so making a cut is unlikely. Reaming and the push tite might be the best combo.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks