non pressurized tank(?) & winterizing ?s

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Hillsteader, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Hillsteader

Hillsteader New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum and to well systems. I live in a double wide trailer with a submersible well system ~100 ft deep. This year I began a total re-plumb with pex because a lot of the pipes burst last winter. I thought that was my main problem but recently the pump motor died, I think due to a malfunctioning well tank (pics). The tank (if that's what it is) is buried up to its lid under the house with the main water line coming out of it. It's definitely not pressurized and it's definitely not storing water. It seems like it's not doing anything except being gross and causing my pump to fail! I plan to install a whole new system with a new pressure tank inside the house. However, winter is coming and we don't have the means to do this for a while. What can I do to winterize the main line coming through the tank? Should I fill the tank with dirt or gravel? My plan is to just leave the tank in the ground and move on. Or is there something else I have to do to "uninstall" or "disconnect" it? Since I don't really understand how it is supposed to function, I'm not sure if I can just walk away from it. Thanks for any advice!

IMG_20150323_123657_877.jpg well storage tank inside.jpg

2. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    That is not a pressure tank. Post a picture of your pump system. You should have a pressure tank somewhere.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Boycedrilling

Boycedrilling In the Trades

I agree with valve man. That is a plastic 55 gallon barrel that has been buried to use for the water line to transition from horizontal to vertical. I may have filled up with surface water.

Your pressure tank is somewhere else.

5. Hillsteader

Hillsteader New Member

There's really nothing else on the property that could possibly be a pressure tank. The only thing that even resembles a pressure tank is the water heater, which is currently disconnected.

pump housing 2.jpg pump housing 1.jpg

6. PumpMd

PumpMd Kevin

Water Well Pump Installer/Diesel Mechanic
    It is buried next to well or maybe a in-well pressure tank with a CSV because the pressure switch is in the well. It looks just like our setup.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  7. PumpMd

PumpMd Kevin

Water Well Pump Installer/Diesel Mechanic
    Dont forget to put that pressure switch back down in well as far you can get it usually by the pitless adapter because it can freeze by leaving it up by the top of the well cap and dont kink the hose.