Non-plastic 1/4 turn stop for fridge water supply line

Users who are viewing this thread

TomR

Reaction score
Need to replace old stop for fridge water supply tube. Want new valve to be 1/4 turn, pic of Brasscraft version attached, but it has plastic knob and who knows what else. Trying to find a brand that is all metal. Have been unable to locate. Can you help?

Is there anything special I need to know about tightening the compression nut onto the plastic tube from fridge? Thanks in advance.

valve.JPG

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Brasscraft has "1/4 turn stops," the G2 series, and "1/4 turn ball stops," the KT series. I believe the latter are a higher quality. So take a look at KTCR09:

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dahl are pretty high quality I believe the handle is metal they make that size

TomR

Reaction score
I contacted Brasscraft, and they did not mention KTCR09 so I purchased a Dahl 621-33-30, $19 delivered from Supply House. So I started this project today and totally got stuck. It was a heck of a fight to remove the old valve. The threading looks different from the new Dahl, and the Dahl will not thread in. The old thread looks more coarse and the bottom few threads look almost stripped. See pics. So I'm thinking this may be a different setup than I thought and needs at least a different valve, maybe Dahl 621-01-30 or similar. If anyone can shed some light, I would be grateful. And if it does need 621-01-30, is teflon appropriate for the seal or something else. Thank you in advance.

old valve.jpg
valves.jpg
621-01-30.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If this is an icemaker box, it may have it's own weird threading.
What brand of box? You might have to ask them.
Often when I'm changing things like that, I just assume I might have to cut the wall and start there.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
that can be an issue Those valves on ice makers and washmachines have screwed me a few times. the 621 31 30 looks like compression your old valve appears to be pipe thread might not be tapered . Was a gasket in bottom of the nut a hard fiber or nylon washer . Its not much worth messing around but I understand not wanting to cut wall . maybe carry the old one to a good hardware or plumbing supply to match it up

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just from the picture it looks like the difference might be 3/8" npt vs 1/2" npt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks