Non-load bearing wall with vaulted ceiling?

Users who are viewing this thread

BrettH

Reaction score
image.png
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
We are looking at taking out the gray wall between the living room and the kitchen, leaving the section next to the refridgerator. From what I can tell and a few friends and family I've talked to that have some building experience it doesn't appear that it should be load bearing. There is no other wall attached to the vaulted ceiling in the room and it is offset from the ridge beam. The span of the room is 32 feet. The only thing in the wall is an electrical plug. It is a crawlspace but I have not been under this side of the house yet to check for supports. It appears to have scissor trusses which I believe do not require interior support walls from everything I've researched. Any opinions on whether this is a non-load bearing wall and anything else I should check before I start removing drywall? I know to check for headers and stacked support studs after drywall is off but is there anything to check first. I read I could check to see if the wall is attached to all the rafters in attic? Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. I have included pictures of the wall and the trusses in the attic.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The truss is carrying the load, not the short section of partition wall.

The rolling dunes of blown insulation looks like a pretty sloppy job. The depressions and thin spots severely undercut the average performance it does a lot better with the same amount of insulation if the top of the insulation raked smooth, with a consistent depth everywhere.

The gray/black discoloration of the fiberglass in the lower left corner of the picture is an indication of a chronic air leak. Correcting any air leakage problems would be job-1 whenever insulation is being added or corrected. Air leaks are not only an energy loss issue- air leaks also move a lot of moisture into the attic, raising the moisture content of the roof deck which in turn raises the risk of mold.

MikeKenmore

Reaction score
i agree. non load bearing.

we had a similar situation, but more complicated. while i still believe we took out a non-load bearing wall, we added a beam strong enough to handle a load presuming it was load bearing.

BrettH

Reaction score
We have taken down the wall. On closer inspection before removal, the wall was not even touching the trusses. Definately not load bearing unless it was using the force. Thanks for all the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks