Noisy Toto Ultramax

Users who are viewing this thread

Ted T

Reaction score
To start, I'd like to thank Terry and all of the contributors here - this site is where I've learned the majority of my (limited) plumbing skills over the years.

Here's my problem: I just replaced two Sterling toilets with Toto Ultramaxs. While I like the look, and the fit is perfect, I'm unimpressed with noise level when the tanks refill. Three sound effects specifically are bugging me:

1) The tank seems have an echo-chamber effect that amplifies the noise of the water as it refills. Will removing the velcro strips let the lid close tightly enough to contain some of the noise? Maybe add a thin gasket (I'm thinking a paint-on rubber gasket) between the top of the tank and the lid?

2) When the flapper closes, it slams...loudly. The thunk is loud enough that I hesitate to flush during the night as I'm afraid it will wake someone. Is there any fix for this? I'm assuming it's working correctly, as both toilets make the exact same sound - is there a replacement that will close more quietly?

3) At the end of the fill, after the flapper closes, there's a dripping noise under the toilet under the toilet as the bowl overfill empties. I can eliminate the noise by lowering the water level, but to get to that point the water is at least 1" below the top of the overflow pipe. The stenciling inside the tank, right next to the overflow pipe, says the water level should be 1/2" below the top of the pipe. Does lowering it that far have any detrimental effect on the flushing performance? (I haven't had them long enough for meaningful field testing.)

Additional info: Both toilets are ridiculously level front-back and side-side (within .5 deg), and there is no evidence of any leaking, internally or externally.

Hopefully some of you have some helpful suggestions - at the moment, I'm seriously considering returning them and buying (don't hate me for this) AS Champion 4s. I have one in my guest bathroom that I installed two years ago and it's been awesome - it flushes more authoritatively (same gpf) than the Totos, refill is much quieter, and no dripping sounds. No clogs either - the Sterlings clogged constantly, which is why I replace them.

Reach4

Reaction score
ideas.
1) Partially close the stop valve at the wall to reduce the flow. I understand that a stop valve is not made for modulating the flow, but it might help.

2) Maybe a different flapper? I don't know if there is one that would sound softer. How about some noise-absorbing curtains or panels in the bathroom?

3) Reduce the bowl refill.

You could replace the refill tube with something like this: https://www.fluidmaster.com/products/toilet/fill-valves/215-water-saving-roller-clamp-refill-tube/
215_WaterSavingRefilTubeClip_Package_530x530-150x150.png

Another possibility is to use something like the Fluidmaster Flush 'n Sparkle. It will add a little back pressure. That is normally a downside, but for you that could be a plus. Kaboom makes a similar unit, and it is easier to refill its chemical without having to buy a cartridge. The point of these is to squirt some bleach or cleaner down the overflow tube with each flush to help keep the bowl clean.

Ted T

Reaction score
Great suggestions, thanks! I guess I should have thought about a flapper replacement myself, but as they’re brand new, it didn’t occur to me. I’ll have to check to see if there’s a fill differential between the bowl and the tank. I’ll also try your suggestion with the valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
I’ll have to check to see if there’s a fill differential between the bowl and the tank.
Maybe post a picture of the inside of your tank, including your fill valve and flapper. You may have a tower instead of a flapper, so that would limit your choices.

I am unfamiliar with Velcro at the tank.

Ted T

Reaction score
The tank lid just kind of sits on top of the tank rather than overlapping the edges like most other brand toilets do. There are two velcro strips on the back edge, I'm assuming to keep the lid from being bumped off. They do however cause a gap at the back of the lid. You can see one of them at the top left of the pic.

I think I'm going to do a silicone seal (like this: https://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/toilet-tank-gasket/). I'll do the saran wrap trick to get a good fit.

Reach4

Reaction score
You have a new tower instead of a flapper. So swapping flappers is not an option.

I wonder if you could cut a piece of rigid closed cell foam insulation, such as XPS, and suspend it high enough to not interfere with the flushing lever. I am suspecting that could absorb some sound in the tank.

Its interesting to see the velcro, too.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What is the water pressure in the home. If it's over 80 PSI, it should have a pressure reducing valve on it. That would affect the filling noise levels, not the tower hitting home. I've installed quite a few now, and I don't see the tower as being noisy. I have seen some homes with the pressure being too high lately.
The Korky style fill valve is a bit quieter. TOTO has their version with the blue cap.

Ted T

Reaction score
Sorry for slow reply - have been swamped with work and other honey-do projects. I checked my water pressure (it's good), partially closed the stop valve to reduce refill flow, lowered the refill level, removed the velcro strips and added a silicon strip around the top edge of the tank. All of this resulted in eliminating the post-refill dripping and a major reduction in tank refill noise level (can barely hear it now). The flush seems fine even with the reduced refill level, and the lid feels much more firmly seated than it did with just the two velcro strips - I can lift it, but there's no horizontal play.
The thump from the tower is still there, but my wife says it's not loud and that I'm being overly sensitive. I've eliminated that noise by leaving the bathroom before the tank finishes refilling, lol.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks