Noisy pressure tank when the pump is on & low pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

SK78

Reaction score
For a while now we have been experiencing low pressure in the house when multiple items are using water, for example a toilet filling while taking a shower.

The pump appears to cycle correctly with a 30 low pressure cut in and 50 cut out.

When the pump is on, I can hear water rushing into the pressure tank, which I don't remember from the past.

This video is from when the pump is on:

I don't hear any unusual noise when the water is being used and the pump has not cycled on yet.
Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
For a while now we have been experiencing low pressure in the house when multiple items are using water, for example a toilet filling while taking a shower.
What does the pressure gauge indicate when multiple items are using water?

SK78

Reaction score
Check the air charge in the pressure tank.
When I first noticed the low flow rate issue when multiple items items are on I checked the air charge and it was at 28 psi, I will have to drain down the water again later to verify.

SK78

Reaction score
What does the pressure gauge indicate when multiple items are using water?
I ran this test, turned on a bathtub and flushed two toilets, pressure indicator seems normal, just goes down until the pump kicks in at ~30. The only thing I noticed this time, which I had not heard before, is that the tank gurgled just before the pump came on.

With the bathtub filling there is almost now flow rate at my sinks or the toilets.

Bannerman

Reaction score
the tank gurgled just before the pump came on.
Did water flow to the bathtub and toilets stop momentarily until the pump kicked in?

just goes down until the pump kicks in at ~30.
Once the pump kicked in, did the pressure continue to fall further below 30?

Type of pump?
How deep is the well?
Diameter of well casing?
What is the static level of water within the well?

Last edited:

SK78

Reaction score
Did water flow to the bathtub and toilets stop momentarily until the pump kicked in?

Once the pump kicked in, did the pressure continue to fall further below 30?

Type of pump?
How deep is the well?
Diameter of well casing?
What is the static level of water within the well?
The water flow did not stop, the volume is just really low, and no the pressure comes back as expected once the pump kicks on.

i need to pull the county records to get that info on the well, it is a submersible type.

Reach4

Reaction score
I ran this test, turned on a bathtub and flushed two toilets, pressure indicator seems normal, just goes down until the pump kicks in at ~30. The only thing I noticed this time, which I had not heard before, is that the tank gurgled just before the pump came on.

With the bathtub filling there is almost now flow rate at my sinks or the toilets.
You would have a partial blockage after the pressure tank. The first place to look is for a cartridge filter.

SK78

Reaction score
You would have a partial blockage after the pressure tank. The first place to look is for a cartridge filter.
Thank you… I replaced my filter after this comment. Issue not resolved, I will need to start diagnosing if it’s my iron filter or water softener that is causing the blockage.

Appreciate the your feedback.

Reach4

Reaction score
Water softener, and maybe the iron filter, would have a bypass. That should make it easy enough to test.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
All I can hear on the video is a splashing sound which is what an iron filter with a head of air might sound like. It could be helpful to know what brand/model the iron filter is and whether it works with air.

The gurgling sound might be air that was trapped in the pressure tank moving forward into the iron filter or air in the iron filter moving forward into the softener. If air does not sputter out of the faucets, it might accumulate in the top of the softener and get purged on regen.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Can't tell from the video, but perhaps there is an unnecessary check-valve located directly before the pressure tank? If so, a hole in the drop pipe would allow water to drain from the section between the hole and the upper check-valve. That would not cause the system to loose pressure while the pump is not operating, but would cause air to be pushed into the pressure tank when the pump is activated.

As LL stated, there has been no mention of air being discharged from faucets, but since there is an iron reduction filter system and softener, those devices maybe accumulating air which is being discharged to drain each backwash cycle.

If there is a hole which is allowing air to enter, then iron oxidation will be occurring, beginning from where the air is entering, so oxidized iron solids maybe accumulating within the pressure tank and piping which maybe reducing the flow rate from the pump.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks