Noisy pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

ramsey76

Reaction score
I have a new problem with noisy pipes. I am sure it is not water hammer.

When the water is on in the house it sound like I have a chain saw in the house. The first time I heard this sound in the early morning I was wondering why my neighbor was cutting down tress at 6 AM.

The sound is pretty loud in a quite house. It seem to happen with cold and warm water. It seem worse with slow volume of water, a faucet left on .

The sound will occur from a shower, a sink, toilet, or dishwadher or washing machine.

The water meter was installed a year ago and is located outside the house. This is a new problem.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First thing to check is to see if the house pressure is normal, both static, and dynamic ( faucet turned on ). Even if the pressure is normal, worn or loose parts inside a regulator can groan, as can worn or loose parts inside your main shutoff valve.

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
Hard to diagnose this kind of thing on a forum...could be some debris that is hanging up in your pipes and when the water is in use the debris causes this sound.

Sometimes when the city works on the main water line it will cause debris(rust/scale/etc) to get dislodged and find its way into a customer's water supply line.

Debris could have even been dislodged when the meter was replaced and it just now wedged itself into a location that is causing the noise.

Good luck

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm with jimbo, my first guess would be the pressure regulator if you have one.

mollymac

Reaction score
Check out this posting regarding noisy/moaning/groaning pipes.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4160

I too have a LOUD noise that occurs occasionally (usually in the middle of the night). It shakes all of the pipes in my house and can wake the dead. I live near an Air Force Base and thought it was quite rude of the military to fly B-52's over my house in the middle of the night. Turns out it was the plumbing making all that noise! I am going to take the advice of LesMan in this post and try replacing the flapper and fill valve. Hopefully that will put an end to this sleep prohibitive problem. Good Luck!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Could it be a Blackbird :)

My all time favorite. I would love to do 1 call for Terry in 1 of these babys.

sr712.jpg

Jamie's grandfather worked on the wiring of the Blackbird.

manufact.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks