Noisy gas valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Adam Bobkin

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on how to get rid of some noise our gas valve is making. Our natural gas fired boiler uses a Honeywell VR8304M4507 gas valve. The boiler is in a 1200 sq ft unfinished basement. The gas feed enter the home at one corner and the boiler is in the opposite corner. So iron pipe carries natural gas about 80 lineal feet to the boiler (30 across and then 50 back). Our bedroom is over the basement. When the thermostat in our room calls for heat, we distinctively hear 2 ’clangs’, which I assume are the two automatic valves opening. When the boiler reaches temperature or the thermostat is satisfied, we hear another much louder “clang/bang”.

I have little doubt the noise is caused by the sound of the valve echoing through this long stretch of pipe. When we moved into the house I was able to hear the zone valve for our bedroom zone “whirring“ open. I got rid of that by putting a small section of pex in that return line. I guess the sound is able to escape or is absorbed by the plastic. I assume we are having a similar problem with the sound of the gas valve through the long stretch of pipe. So, what should we do? Replace the gas valve? Can we put some plastic underground pipe somewhere? Anyone with any experience with this would be helpful. From what I can tell, most people do not have a boiler that is so far away from where the feed enters their home.

Thanks to all.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I cannot help you much with your issues but this clang/bang, could it be the circulator pump(s)? Not sure if any gas valve whirls open. It's why it may be a circulator pump is worn out with a bad bearing.

It is possible that the gas valve is failing where by valve is not fully opening or it could be the valve for the pilot tube. There could be debris inside the gas valve partially block gas flow. We all can make a similar noise with a garden hose slightly pinch as water flows. I'm suspecting a bad gas valve but since you are dealing with gas get a qualified mechanic on it to diagnose these two problems, a whirring noise and a bang?

Honeywell VR8304M4507 - Standard Dual Intermittent Pilot Gas Valve
Standing Pilot vs. Intermittent Pilot: What's the Difference ...
www.designcomfortco.com › blog › heating › standing...
Dec 5, 2014 — Rather than keep a flame burning all the time, the intermittent pilot only lights when needed. The system responds to the command for heat by using an electric spark to ignite the flame. A sensor registers the flame and lights the main burner, at which point the pilot light goes out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks