Noisy Boiler Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiko

Reaction score
My boiler pump is an Armstrong (probably 1/12 HP.) All the other pumps in the pump room are Bell and Gossett. There are 8 apts served by the boiler.

This Armstrong pump was jack-hammering, so I asked the maintenance man to replace the coupler, and the jack-hammering stopped. However, it is still too noisy. The noise vibrates into my apartment. I made a recording of it, in case anyone can determine what still needs to be replaced in this noisy pump.

http://soundcloud.com/kiko98-1/noisy-pump-mp3

Last edited:

Kiko

Reaction score
Update: The apartment manager thinks this noise is "normal" and won't fix it. At night, you can hear the noise throughout the entire apartment, and this pump is noisier than all the others. If someone can diagnose the problem from the audio clip (in the above post), at least I'll have a chance of getting it fixed. If not, I may have to hire someone and pay for it myself. It's driving me crazy.

Mage182

Reaction score
This happened to me in a similar situation. It turned out a small chunk of debris that was lodged in one of my radiators found its way down into the pump housing and was bouncing around. After removing it the problem continued and turned out in the end to be some gunk that was built up in one side of the impeller causing it to be imbalanced. Once I cleaned the entire housing and impeller thoroughly the noise disappeared.

Kiko

Reaction score
Thanks Mage, Giving it a good cleaning is sound advice.

I'm still waiting for some of our resident boiler experts to chime in with their ideas.

Could it be the motor is overheating, a bad impeller or bad bearings?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Mage, Giving it a good cleaning is sound advice.

I'm still waiting for some of our resident boiler experts to chime in with their ideas.

Could it be the motor is overheating, a bad impeller or bad bearings?

It sounds like a bad bearing assembly which includes the impeller.

Kiko

Reaction score
It sounds like a bad bearing assembly which includes the impeller.

I was looking at some youtube videos, and the boiler expert said that whenever you replace the coupler you should replace the motor mount. I know the maint guy did not replace the motor mount. Could a bad motor mount be causing this noise (by causing the motor shaft and bearing assembly shaft to not line up with each other correctly)? That would be a lot cheaper than replacing the bearing assembly.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
personally, I'd replace the whole circulator with a Taco 007 cartridge type. Damn near silent, but no, replacing the motor mount? He could get rid of the old four spring coupling and go with a siongle spring. Google spring coupling for B&G / Armstrong

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks