Noise from sprinkler valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Crestone

Reaction score
9-21-22

Hi All: I have always appreciated your comments and troubleshooting recommendations. If I may ask for your thoughts on the following:

I have and older Orbit WaterMaster valve. Please see attached photo. I have 4 of these valves in the manifold. I have replaced the diaphragm on all 4 valves with Part Number 57045. I believe the model # of the valve is 57100 or 57101 and is a 1 inch valve. After replacing the diaphragm on zone three and turned on the water system, I heard a humming/buzzing type of noise coming from that number 3 valve. That particular sound was not coming from any of the other 3 valves. Please note that the noise I hear is very hard to describe. But whenever I replaced a diaphragm it seems that I hear that type of noise. Perhaps some of you may know of this sound.

Anyway, I removed the valve cover and diaphragm from zone three and zone one. I placed the valve cover and diaphragm from zone one onto Zone three and visa versa. I did not hear that particular noise from zone one but did continue to hear the nose coming from zone 3.

Any assistance or thoughts will be appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Photo didn't attach. Needs to be smaller than 800pixels... But it sounds like the solenoid motor is the cause of the humming noise. Not sure on what the fix is for that.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
A picture will not help here, however, a video with audio would be better. To post a video, upload it on YouTube or any other service and then link it on this post.

The diaphragm is vibrating because there is not enough water flow. Occasionally you'll hear it when a valve closes when there is no noise during irrigation. If all sprinklers seem to work with full flow, it just might be a low water flow on this one zone. Why the old diaphragm did not have the problem is a mystery.

Valves at a manifold is good and it allows a short distance from the water main. Having a water restriction at the manifold could be possible. I have found small stone(s) wedge at elbows anywhere is the system. When the diaphragms were replaced, did you run the water to flush out any possible debris?

Another is at the first sprinkler of the zone, depending on the type, remove the sprinkler head or the entire sprinkler itself then flush the line. If the valve does not make the noise it is definitely the water flow. It is possible the zone has fewer sprinklers taking needing less water or there is a restriction else where down the line.. Removing each sprinkler,one at a time, you can get you a clue if there is a restriction. Pop up's have a tendency to plug up in the spray head or the filter below it. Rotors generally do not plug up.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Photo didn't attach. Needs to be smaller than 800pixels... But it sounds like the solenoid motor is the cause of the humming noise. Not sure on what the fix is for that.
It is possible, They are 24v AC@60Hz . Just unthread two solenoids and swap them. You can leave the wires attached. This will prove if its the solenoid or the valve body.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Or turn the water off and activate solenoid to determine water flow noise or solenoid

Crestone

Reaction score
Wow...your comments and recommendatipns are well taken. I will go ahead and follow your recommendations and see what happens. thanks again and I will get back to you all. You are all so kind.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks