No water

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by studejoe, Aug 8, 2020.

1. studejoe

studejoe New Member

after a 4 day power outage there I had no water. There was power to my switch but the water pressure gage read 0. The pressure switch points were pretty black and I tried to clean them with little effect. went out and got another 30/50 switch which was the same as the old one, and I had water for all of 5 minutes. My tank can not seem to hold water pressure for long,but it holds air pressure fine so I do not think it is the tank. I am getting 240v to the switch but can not seem to to adjust the pressure up on the switch. One other thing the tank calls for a 40/60 switch would that make a difference

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    30/50 40/60 doesn't matter particularly as long as you set the bladder tank's precharge properly. About 2# less than the lower number is what's called for. SO, if you are using a 30/50 switch, set the tank's precharge to 28. If the tank's too high, it won't allow much (if any) water to be stored in the tank.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. studejoe

studejoe New Member

I did set the air pressure at 28psi the water will run for about 2 minutes and then stop. I am beginning to think it might be a pump problem. the tank says to precharge to 36psi which is why I was wondering if a 40/60 switch would work better. The water pressure drops to " 0 " and does not come back

5. studejoe

studejoe New Member

I did set the air pressure at 28 psi before I read the tank which called foe 36 psi setting which is a 40/60 switch. The water pressure gage reads 32 psi but if I turn the water on it drops to "0" and does not recycle which is why I thought I should replace the 30/50 with w 40/60. My train of thought is there is a leak or break in the pump line somewhere i and that is why it is not working the way it should. This is the first time I tried something like this, so I am just guessing at this point.

6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    There's a check valve, usually called a foot valve, down near the pump. That is supposed to prevent the water from the pump to the house from draining back into the well when the pump shuts off. IF that valve leaks, each time the pump needs to turn on, it needs to refill the pipe, and that can take awhile. Without being there to help observe and diagnose, it's a bit tough from remote.

7. studejoe

studejoe New Member

problem solved it was the pump had a short to ground. thanks for the help