No water from Kohler Rite-Temp Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

wmn

Reaction score
Bought valve 10 years ago, installed 5 years ago and leaked checked, no leaks. Did not flow check as the shower was rough-in and didn't want to make a mess. Finished the shower and tried to flush the lines before installing shower head. No water comes past the valve. Turned water off, removed the guts of the valve, all looks normal. Reassembled the valve, left the valve on mid way and slowly turn the water supply on. Still no water past the valve. Valve does not have stops and is only plumbed to the shower head (out the top). Any help?

wmn

Reaction score
Another quick question. Is it possible to put the pressure balancing unit in backwards or upside down? I removed it when I sweated the copper in but may have reinstalled the pressure balancing unit wrong. I was careful when I reinstalled it this morning and put it back together the way it came out but I don't remember if I put it in right during the original install. Another try, pulled the PBU out to inspect, cannot install backwards. Appears there is no upside down problem. I did find a loose screw on the PBU which means it's an older unit as the new ones are riveted together. Since I was there I took all the screws out and pulled the PBU apart. Found the diaphragm in good shape, no tears, but the pistons on either side were stuck. I cleaned then up and reassembled the PBU. A gentle shake would cause the pistons and the diaphragm the move back and forth. Reinstalled in the valve body and turned on the supply. Could hear a slight (brief) hissing as the water pressure came up. Went to the shower to test and heard a little hiss when I turn on the shower valve but no water out. I do have water in the valve and there was water at the shower elbow when I removed the plug and installed the shower arm (last week).

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you turn on both the hot and cold? It won't flow unless you do.

wmn

Reaction score
Both hot and cold every time. Tried turning them at the same time on while the shower valve was open at mid point for equal pressurization to both hot and cold. Do the water lines need to be purged? After taking the valve apart all the water is drained out of the lines so some air is trapped. During the original install I added shut off valves with bleeder drains so when I need to service I can shut off the water supply and bleed off the pressure and not get sprayed when I disassemble the valve.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless the pressure balance spool got jammed to one end, and thus is closed, it should work when both supplies are on. Air should not be a problem, and should quickly get purged once flow starts.

wmn

Reaction score
Would opening 1 supply valve while operating the shower valve then the other move the spool ?

wmn

Reaction score
Called Kohler, they are sending a new PBU and mixing valve, wonderful people, stand behind they're warranty. After the phone call (and work) I decided to try something new. I removed the PBU, reinstalled the mixing valve and turned the water supply on. Still no joy. Removed the mixing valve. Then dragged a small air tank up to the shower and blew out the line from the shower arm back. 20, 30, 50, 60 psi no luck finally at 80 psi a big splash of water (and some crud) came out of the valve body. As it turns out there was a blockage in the line from the valve to the shower ell. Reinstalled the mixing valve without the PBU and turned on the supply. I could hear (from the basement) the flow, I had water flow! Flushed the lines with about 3 gallons of water and turned off the supply lines. Reinstalled the PBU, clocked 180 degrees from the last install, installed the mixing valve and turned on the supply. Water flows from the shower! I had hot and cold water running and could control it from the shower valve. Moral of the story, don't wait 5 years to use the shower. Thanks for the help, I've been a guest on the forums for long time and learned a lot.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks