No water. Control box or pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Yuba

Reaction score
I have no water. I'm not sure if it's the control box or motor. It was there when i moved in, so I'm not sure what's below ground. I have a franklin 110v 1/2 hp control box. Im not sure the age. I have lived there for about 5 years. The date on the plate says 05e19. So it makes me think it was made in 05 so it is probably like 15 years old.

When i first plug it in, it hums and draws allot of power for about 3 seconds and then shuts off. I tried to look at the capacitors tab, and it isn't buldging or yellow. It has a white scale build up it looks like. I have looked online and can't find what this means. I have tested it with my cheap multimeter on ohm. It usually doesn't say anything. A couple times i got a rising number but i haven't been able to replicate it. Maybe it's just a crap meter though.

Any ideas? I live in a pretty remote area. To make matters worse, i recently had a spinal cord injury making it difficult for me to do things. My local plumbing supply doesn't have anything in 110v.

Reach4

Reaction score
A couple times i got a rising number but i haven't been able to replicate it.
Put the resistance on high resistance. See the ohms. A good capacitor would jump lower when you touch, and then rise. Reverse the leads. Good capacitor will give a bigger jump, and then a rise in resistance. Start capacitor is a non-polarized electrolytic (which is made from two polarized electrolytics in series). They go bad.

Is control box number 280 104 4915 ?
Does capacitor maybe have the number 275 464 201 ? That would be a 250-300 mfd capacitor.

See https://www.supplyhouse.com/Motor-Start-Capacitors-19703000

Yuba

Reaction score
I don't have a setting for high resistance. It's junk. It's just auto. I'm not sure if this multimeter is worth anything other then reading voltage. I tried putting them both on the same pin and i didn't get a reading. But i put the leads together and i get zero. Maybe a shop somewhere can test it for me or I'm going to have to just buy a new control box and see if it works. I was hoping the state of the indicator tab would be more useful.
Yes. It's 280104 4915

Attachments

• 0926211303.jpg
    0926211303.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 159

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't have a setting for high resistance. It's junk. It's just auto. I'm not sure if this multimeter is worth anything other then reading voltage. I tried putting them both on the same pin and i didn't get a reading.
If you put the multimeter into resistance/ohms, moisten your hands, and grab the meter probe tips -- one with the left hand and one with the right-- do you get a reduction of resistance indicated? If so, your meter is up to this job.

You may have a friend with a capacitance measurement setting, or you could buy one. That is not an expensive feature these days.

https://www.esupplydepot.com/p-4408-franklin-electric-305207951-capacitor-kit-275464201.aspx is expensive exact replacement.

https://thepumpwarehouse.com/shop/franklin-qd-control-box-12-hp-115v/ is the whole box.

I don't have a control box, and I don't know what will fit. Those generic capacitors can be pretty cheap, and I think replacing them after 7 or 10 years can be a very good idea.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks