No vents installed in barn before concrete was poured.

Users who are viewing this thread

STyler

Reaction score
I hope this isn't a major problem. I have a shower, toilet and two sinks going into my barn. The drain lines are all in and the concrete was poured, but there are no separate vent lines - just the drain pipes for each fixture. Is this a problem? How can the toilet be vented?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
With no vents and a trap on each fixture you will have problems...besides not meeting code...

Who plumbed it????

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
Pix may help.So..you have pipes up through the slab?
Sink lines from the slab continue up,get a tee for a trap and go up and become venting.
Shower and toilets are a different animal.
Pictures if you can.

STyler

Reaction score
I can't get pics until the next time I'm down at the barn. Pretty much all there is to see is a single pipe up for the toilet and a single pipe up for the shower coming through the concrete at the drain locations.

Does this mean I have to dig up the concrete to tie in vent lines, or is there an alternate method to get this up to snuff?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Pix may help.So..you have pipes up through the slab?
Sink lines from the slab continue up,get a tee for a trap and go up and become venting.
Shower and toilets are a different animal.
Pictures if you can.

+1
Could be wet vented and if installed correctly you'll have no issues and be up to code as long as your jurisdiction accepts wet vents.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Each fixture should have its own vent...

Concrete will have to be jacked up to install vents if there realy are none...

I would call in a plumber and let him ascess the situation and make recomendations...

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score

Not if it's correctly wet vented. Expanded explanation: the wet vent classifies the horizontal in slab pipe as the vent.

Here's an example of wet vented fixtures. This is correct, notice the only pipes that come out of the floor is the pipe for the lavatory.
Horizontal-Wet-Venting.gif

Last edited:

STyler

Reaction score

Concrete will have to be jacked up to install vents if there realy are none...

I would call in a plumber and let him ascess the situation and make recomendations...

Hiring a plumber is what got me into this mess. I'd rather figure out the solution before calling in another one.

STyler

Reaction score
I might be heading down this afternoon. If so, I'll try and take some pics.

I'll also have you guys look at the floor drain for the wash stall. Wanted a decent sized grate and I got a small PVC drain cover.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Hiring a plumber is what got me into this mess. I'd rather figure out the solution before calling in another one.

Is it that he won't come back...can you post pics ?...If he is licenced and pulled a permit he has Insurance and should be bonded...

STyler

Reaction score
Is it that he won't come back...can you post pics ?...If he is licenced and pulled a permit he has Insurance and should be bonded...

Took him forever to finish up the job and it's impossible to get back in touch with him. It isn't worth the headache to deal with him for anything else. He's a "master plumber" - but I think he's well beyond the point that he should have retired.

Permits are a non-issue. In that county, you pull a single permit (construction/electrical/plumbing) for an agricultural building - then the county is completely uninvolved. They don't do inspections on any part of the process - even during the initial construction.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
STyler, are you allowed to wet vent??
What you describe is not the big deal it seems that it's being made into.

STyler

Reaction score
STyler, are you allowed to wet vent??
What you describe is not the big deal it seems that it's being made into.

I can do whatever I want in the barn. I just want it to work without issues down the road (and before I finish off everything and a solution becomes even more costly).

EDIT> I'm going to head down to the barn now and take some pics in case it will help.

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
If it's wet vented correctly you won't have any issues. Wet venting is done all the time, has been accepted by most codes going back 20+ years. All of the houses I've lived in in Florida have been wet vented and I've never had a problem. I've never heard of a problem unless it was installed incorrectly.

STyler

Reaction score
If it's wet vented correctly you won't have any issues. Wet venting is done all the time, has been accepted by most codes going back 20+ years. All of the houses I've lived in in Florida have been wet vented and I've never had a problem. I've never heard of a problem unless it was installed incorrectly.

If I "wet vent", is there anything I need to accommodate when framing? I'd like to bring a plumber in after I have everything framed, but I don't want a bunch of rework because of it.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
If it is wet vented your pipe coming up for the sink should be a 2" which you would carry the 2" vent up from the tee and out through the roof.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
that willl work

If it is wet vented your pipe coming up for the sink should be a 2" which you would carry the 2" vent up from the tee and out through the roof.

that is probably what the original master plumber had intended to do..... its probably all ok...

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
We can't see through the floor to know the order of the piping but if it is installed correctly the horizontal branch under the floor becomes the vented line, therefor you wouldn't need to individually vent the water closet and shower because they would already be vented (by the horizontal line).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks