No Venting for Plumbing in an Old Cape Cod

Users who are viewing this thread

Flotsam

Reaction score
So this is my first post although i have lurked (& learned a lot!). I recently replaced my old galvanized supply pipes with PEX & a manifold and it went quite well. Amazing how much better the flow is & how quickly the water warms up now.

My house (Cape Code) was built in 1949 and sometime in the 70s the upstairs had a full dormer added on the back of the house and a full bath (shower, sink & toilet) was added to this at same time. There is a vent poking out of the roof so I assume the second floor bathroom was plumbed properly (with regard to venting).

I have problems with my main stack in the basement where it has rusted out (due to obstructions I assume) . I have temporarily patched it (w rubber clamps) but I realize this is time for a permanent fix. My plan after getting a few estimates was to replace the failing cast iron with PVC. This also allows me to put in a new closet flange in the 1st floor bathroom to get some knee room! Currently w a simple round toilet (10in rough in) in there I only have 10" . I can easily push that back 6 in. & even considered a wall mount but the huge extra expense would only give me another 4 in.

My primary question here is about venting of waste pipes. As I mentioned before there is a pipe going through roof of second floor so I assume that was done correctly but i would have to rip into walls in order to verify that which I don't want to do and have never had any problems draining. The first floor, the bathroom I mentioned (tub, Sink & toilet) and Kitchen (sink) appear to have NO venting. The only fixtures i have in the basement are a laundry sink ( i just replaced) & a new outlet (i just built) for the washer. These are not vented either.

So in the 1st floor bathroom I completely gutted the one wall (to install the PEX + it is the backside wall to the kitchen which is being reno-ed coming up with new wiring) . So I have access to everything and I should post a pic as you can see where the stack goes up to the 2nd floor. There is no venting for the sink or tub and obviously the toilet just ties into the stack. My idea is this: I want to create a new vent system for 1st floor (Bathroom & Kitchen) & the Basement in a new PVC pipe which would be tied in (above flood line) to the stack in the 1st floor bathroom. I know the ideal thing to do would be tie this new vent above the second floor flood line of the vent pipe going up out of the roof but this would mean a huge effort ripped up walls on the second floor.

I have some pictures which would help illustrate my dilemma. Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I know the ideal thing to do would be tie this new vent above the second floor flood line of the vent pipe going up out of the roof but this would mean a huge effort ripped up walls on the second floor.

If you have one vent through the roof, a bathroom group can be vented with an AAV. I normally have those in a wall box with grill for air intake and access for replacement.

dwv_b2.jpg

What venting normally looks like.

Flotsam

Reaction score
I will still get some pictures together.

But i had one big question about vent lines: Can the vent be a smaller size than the line I am venting? For example most of the PVC Drain lines are 2" can i use 1 1/2 PVC tubing to vent?

The reason for the last question is some of the walls the vent has to go through are only 2x3.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most fixtures are vented with 1.5"
Toilets are vented with 2"
Any vent is better than no vent. Doesn't mean it would pass an inspection.
Two 1.5" vents will equal a single 2" vent in area.

Flotsam

Reaction score
Thanks, glad i get points at least for good intentions!

My concern is that at some point when I'm selling the house a home inspector will point out there is no venting and I will be in a bind to have something fixed in order to close a deal, and would have to pay a premium to get this straightened out. As for up to code, I am still guessing here but the changes to make a second story dormer and the additional 2nd floor bathroom meant at least those things were checked.

All that being said my home inspector was woefully inadequate with regard to pointing out these plumbing deficiencies from when I bought the house.

One additional question regarding vents >> I read somewhere that ALL vents must be able to snaked and require a clean-out even if no solids or fluids would ever go through them. Is this true?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
One additional question regarding vents >> I read somewhere that ALL vents must be able to snaked and require a clean-out even if no solids or fluids would ever go through them. Is this true?

I've never seen that. I've never heard of venting that could be snaked. Maybe "wet venting" which also carries solids. Anything carrying solids will get snaked at some point.

Flotsam

Reaction score
I've never seen that. I've never heard of venting that could be snaked. Maybe "wet venting" which also carries solids. Anything carrying solids will get snaked at some point.
sorry that would be a misconception on my part nothing you ever said, probably just something i picked up on youtube, i think there was one video where you had an inspector critique an island venting scheme or something. But I understand what you are telling me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks