No pressure troubleshooting

Users who are viewing this thread

Hlbrnmom

Reaction score
Sometime during the night we lost water pressure. This morning went to turn on the shower and just trickles. Our well and pump are about 16 years old. Trying to troubleshoot is it a well pump, the pressure tank, or The valve. Right now I tried flipping the breaker for the well and the switch for the tank to see if it would reset from an electrical standpoint. The pressure gauge still reads about six. How can I troubleshoot which it may be? My husband and I are pretty handy and probably could replace whatever needs to be replaced, but we Need to figure out which it is. I looked at the connections at the switch and they all look good. There is a faucet down by that switch. What I don't know is does that faucet come directly from the well or is it from the tank. If it's from the well and it gives me water then I would presume that the well pump is fine? Just looking for some quick troubleshooting help before calling out a costly repair.
TIA!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Do you have a volt meter? As of now we don't know if you are getting power to the pump or if you have other problems. If you have voltage coming out of the pressure switch to the pump, then we would need a clip around amp meter to see if the motor is running or not.

Is it clicking and buzzing? Pressure switch points sparking? Is there a control box between the pressure switch and well pump, or do the wires go straight from the pressure switch down the well?

Reach4

Reaction score
There is a faucet down by that switch. What I don't know is does that faucet come directly from the well or is it from the tank. If it's from the well and it gives me water then I would presume that the well pump is fine?
We don't know is what happens when you try to get water at that faucet. Does water come out at low pressure such as if there is 6 PSI of pressure? Or does water just dribble out and the pressure gauge is bad? Or does water gush out at normal pressure and something is blocking the pressure from reaching the rest of the house?

You could hook a hose to that drain valve if you prefer, rather than trying to catch the water in a pan.

Hlbrnmom

Reaction score
Found a reset button on the box for the pressure tank. Pushed it and started pressurizing the system. Now I'm getting pressures between 50 and 60 consistently. And water from all faucets etc. Now the ultimate question is is what made it trip? Going to have the well people come look tomorrow, just for an opinion of cause.

Reach4

Reaction score
Found a reset button on the box for the pressure tank. Pushed it and started pressurizing the system. Now I'm getting pressures between 50 and 60 consistently. And water from all faucets etc. Now the ultimate question is is what made it trip? Going to have the well people come look tomorrow, just for an opinion of cause.
It could be a pressure switch with a low pressure cutout. If so, the gauge that reads 6 PSI should probably be replaced.

Here is are some discussions that mention a Pumptrol pressure switch with a low pressure cutoff. It has a lever to start the pump back up.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pump-shuts-off-when-demand-peaks.31391/#post-220205
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/fsg2-pumptrol-problem.2474/#post-10887
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pump-shuts-off-when-demand-peaks.31391/#post-220205

A common reason for such a dropout is using water during a power outage, or the well ran out of water. The running out of water thing is the main purpose of such as switch.

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Waterline probably froze or pipe could be broke somewhere. Mine acts like that when the water level drops in the well. That is usually a result of a pipe break or water heater failure or the sprinkler got left on etc.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
You could have a water logged tank if you have never check your precharge in 16yrs, which would make it cycle to much to kick the overload. You only want normal cycling with the correct Precharge to make everything last longer, like your pressure tank instance.

Last edited:

Hlbrnmom

Reaction score
Came out just now & told me pressure tank is bad. Besides the valve, it was the cheapest fix! As our well is so deep, a well pump was going to be CRAZY $$$!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Came out just now & told me pressure tank is bad. Besides the valve, it was the cheapest fix! As our well is so deep, a well pump was going to be CRAZY $$$!

Too much regular cycling is what causes the bladder in the tank to go bad. A busted bladder is one of the first signs that your pump is cycling too much. Your pumps life is also shortened from cycling as well. Doubling the size of the tank will help almost as much as adding a CSV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks