No pressure & no water !!??

Users who are viewing this thread

texasjim

Reaction score
Bought a house that has been vacant for a year and tried to start well pump, at first water came out for about a minute and then nothing....... now what ??? pressure gauage reading close to zero ...... used a compressor to push air into tank... turned pump back on and nothing !!! HELP !!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pressure in the expansion tank should be 1-2# less than the turn-on point of the pressure switch. How much did you put in the tank? My unprofessional opinion..

texasjim

Reaction score
Not sure... I have a construction crew on site and the foreman offered to push air in with his compressor. I am at a loss ......don't know what to do next...

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
The pressure tank controls the pressure switch that turns the pump on and off.
With the water pressure drained down (sounds like it already is), use a tire gauge to check the pressure tank. Set it at two psi below the pump cut-on pressure by adding air with the compressor, if necessary (i.e., if the pump is set at 30-50, the pressure tank pressure should be at 28 psi).
After setting up that long, the pump just may have lost prime IF it's a shallow well surface pump. Do you know if it is a shallow well (25' or less) or a submersible pump (down in the well)?
I can tell you how to prime it, if it's a surface pump.
Mike

texasjim

Reaction score
The well is deep so it it most likely in the well....... any clue on how to prime it ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks