No power to circulator pump

Users who are viewing this thread

CJW5

Reaction score
I own a Weil-Mclain boiler, Taco pump, and L8148A controller.
Pump runs, controller does not power up the pump.
I have a couple questions.
Does the controller only run the pump while the burner is running?
Money is short, and the controller is expensive can I power up the pump using the burner wire so it runs only while the burner is running without drawbacks? Thanks in advance for your help.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The L8148A is an aquastat relay, usually set up to control both the burner and the circulator. I'm not sure whether it inhibits the circulator if the boiler is colder than the low limit, but I don't think so. It definitely turns off the burner when the high-limit is senses, but as long as there is still a call for heat from the thermostat the circulator would keep running even when the burner is off.

If you wire it up to run the circulator only when the burner is running it will sort-0f work, but if it ever hits the high-limit the circulator would stop, and it won't re-start until the boiler cools off via jacket losses until it hit's the low-limit. Without the circulator pumping hot water out to the radiation during the that cool-down period, it takes quite a long time for the boiler to cool to the low-limit, long enough for the house to get cold if it happens during cold weather.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks