No p-trap for new shower, contractor says OK. A bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

onehomeowner

Reaction score
I'm doing a remodel with a tub on concrete slab foundation, and I needed to replace a portion of the pipe. The original assembly did not have a p-trap, and is like the one pictured, which is the setup usually sold at box stores. Are p-traps supposed to be added to these assemblies?

Attachments

• tub_drain_assembly.jpg
    tub_drain_assembly.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 288

onehomeowner

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. If there has never been a problem with sewer odors, is it safe to assume that there is a p-trap somewhere below the waste tee, and it's just not visible?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks for the reply. If there has never been a problem with sewer odors, is it safe to assume that there is a p-trap somewhere below the waste tee, and it's just not visible?

If I was replacing a tub, I would want to know that there is a p-trap there. How about a picture of what you're looking at?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When remodeling, it's often good practice to inspect the pipes you're connecting to to ensure everything is still in good shape. I'd want to verify that the trap is in good shape before installing new stuff above it. It might also be a good idea to verify that the vent line is done correctly and is still good.

onehomeowner

Reaction score
The black plastic looks to be leftover from whenever the foundation was poured for the house. I can see something that starts to look like a bend, possibly a p trap, but whatever connection there is to the other pipe is hidden by the plastic bucket.

Attachments

• 37AC2A3A-F3BD-4782-BA1E-057DBB94EAE9.jpeg
    37AC2A3A-F3BD-4782-BA1E-057DBB94EAE9.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 269
  • 0D6D5C6B-3EBD-4505-A984-B96180EB8112.jpeg
    0D6D5C6B-3EBD-4505-A984-B96180EB8112.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 280

Reach4

Reaction score
The black plastic looks to be leftover from whenever the foundation was poured for the house. I can see something that starts to look like a bend, possibly a p trap, but whatever connection there is to the other pipe is hidden by the plastic bucket.
Pour water down one of the pipes to fill a trap, if it there. Wait an hour. Then shove a cotton rope down a few feet. Let it sit for 1 minute. Then pull the rope out, and judge if there is an area that looks like it was sitting in water for a minute. I am not a plumber.

onehomeowner

Reaction score
I dropped some string down the pipe with a weight attached, which hit water around where the bend appears. (I did not add any water to the drain, so this is standing water that has been there since removing the tub many moons ago).

I know the smart thing to do would be to remove the black plastic in order to inspect the pipes, although I kind of like thinking of it as an extra barrier to pests, but it might not be doing anything at all.

Thank you all for the advice thus far.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks