No Nice Way To Say This...

Users who are viewing this thread

RustyKnuckles

Reaction score
There is no nice way to say this. I stop up most toilets. I have to plunge our toilet 90% of the time. If I go to a friend's house and have to do a #2, I generally have to make sure they have a plunger handy. So I am building my own home and want to find a toilet I can't stop up. Anybody got any suggestions? What about a Toto Drake?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toto Drakes are an excellent toilet, but if you have extremely large turds, the Caroma may be a better choice for you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sydney_305_el_1.jpg

Caroma Sydney Smart 305 Elongated with 3" trapway.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Long isn't necessarily a major problem for many toilets, but long AND hard, is a different story...there, you need something like the Caroma that has a larger diameter trapway. Sometimes it's diet, sometimes, it's the medicines you're on. Lots of fiber can help along with keeping hydrated, but everyone's body is different, and sometimes, nothing helps.

RustyKnuckles

Reaction score
I was fine until I had my first colonoscopy at age 66. I get my healthcare from the V.A., but they were unable to get me in for over a year, so they sent me to a private clinic. The damm (affirmative action) MD who did mine somehow managed to poke a hole in my colon. Ever since then I've been on softening meds and if I forget them I stop up the toilet. Oh well... it could be worse!

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the newer toilets with the smooth trapway are not as likely to get stopped up. I don't think that the problem with clogging is just trapway size, but hairpin turns etc.

cutaway.gif

When visiting, and maybe at home, do an extra flush before you start the paperwork.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Once you know what to look for, often, just by viewing the toilet from the side, you can pick out which ones will be problematic...ideally, you'd have a nice smooth curve for the path of the waste with no sharp angles or changes of direction. Combining a larger trapway with smooth curves gives you the maximum waste management. Those with sharp angles, especially when it turns down into the toilet flange in the floor are more prone to clogging.

Look at this Kohler from the side...see how it goes straight along the floor then makes a 90-degree bend to go into the flange

http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/K-5481-RA_spec.pdf

verses this Toto design where the outlet is turned to point down and out into the flange

http://assets.totousa.com/product-files/SS-00958_CST744EN.pdf

Subtle design changes can have huge performance differences.

RustyKnuckles

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Jim, thanks for posting the links to those two toilets. It is apparent from the diagrams which one is better.

Terry, what do you think of this review posted online?

This toilet has 3 inch (not 4" as claimed) "Roman trap" or "wash-down trap" - like most European commodes. It can take your bulk delivery even is it is really large diameter. It may not like very large diameter that are very long at the same time - but if this one does not handle it - than you need an old style outhouse with a straight drop to sewer.
The toilet is made in the USA by a company under license from Caroma. Unfortunately - I do not know if they actually make it here or in China, but the glaze is sticky and requires cleaning all to often. Also the trap is not glazed all the way which diminishes its capability to handle bulk.
The flushing water cascades Niagara style and sound from the front and the back rim - but nearly nothing goes on the sides - this is what takes away 2 Stars. Certainly some extra kinetic energy might be need to move bulk - but is it? The flush distribution is like from 1940's toilets or earlier.

The plunger makes a big thump and if the flush valve is touching the side of the tank it will be rather loud.
Is it really that difficult to design good water flush and glaze the whole thing with non-sticky glaze. But the price they charge should cover it. Regardless the cost to produce superior product vs. not as much product - is relatively nil.
I'll keep it for its bulk handling anyway as there is not much choice on the USA market - I went through dozens of toilets at Lowes and Home depot and none has "Roman style" trap.
It handles a lot of bulk due its size because the trap actually is 3" high and about 4" while the "syphon" type toilets max at 2.25". One concerned is trap water level which is measured at 1.75" and is not adjustable although the flush mechanism appears to have the connector for an overflow line. There is no instructions how to adjust either the tank level nor the trap level if needed.

But again - if bulk handling virtually without clogging is what you need - this is the one to buy. I noticed that similar "Roman style" trap is on some Toto commodes which have better flushing distribution to clean debris from the sides and significantly less sticky glazing.
If you wish to find such a toilet in big boxes - don't waste your time. In big boxes you will find only the toilets with long meandering in various ways at most 2.25" traps - just look from the side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks