No Name Toilet Continues to Leak Around Flapper

Users who are viewing this thread

Grayfeathers

Reaction score
I've got a toilet which I can't find a name anywhere on it. Toilet is about 25 years old and just recently started leaking around the flapper. I noticed it when I kept hearing the toilet fill up. I've replaced the flapper twice with no success in stopping the water flow. I'm replacing the flapper with one that looked just like the one that was in there. It's generic type that fits all toilets. I've even taken a rag and wiped down the ring where the flapper sits thinking that there may be some trash on the lip. Any suggestions as to what to do next?
Thanks in advance.
Tim

Reach4

Reaction score
Make sure there is a bit of slack on the chain. I expect that is not the problem.

What replacement flapper did you try?

Grayfeathers

Reaction score
Make sure there is a bit of slack on the chain. I expect that is not the problem.

What replacement flapper did you try?

I went to Lowe's and got the only universal one they had which was a Korky. The chain does have slack but not so much as to get tangled into the flush handle.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
fm_fillvalve_siphon.jpg

Make sure that the refill tube isn't inserted into the overflow or it can siphon water from the tank into the bowl.

Grayfeathers

Reaction score
fm_fillvalve_siphon.jpg

Make sure that the refill tube isn't inserted into the overflow or it can siphon water from the tank into the bowl.

I think that was it. The tube was shoved at least an inch below the water line. So far the toilet hasn't re filled on it's on all day. I have since cut the extra length to fit.
Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks