No idea when to use conduit

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
This has had me stumped.

My house is wired in BX/AC.

In the unfinished basement there is a receptacle on the wall and a light switch on the wall. The cable comes down from the joists. Both are fed by AC.

Should the AC be in conduit? I read different statements in different places. Although my interpretation of the NEC is that it should be, as should Romex.

Help!! I am confused.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
320.15 Exposed Work.
Exposed runs of cable, except as provided in 300.11(A), shall closely follow the surface of the building finish or of running boards. Exposed runs shall also be permitted to be installed on the underside of joists where supported at each joist and located so as not to be subject to physical damage.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Wow, I really am confused now. I guess my question was whether AC can be considered an alternative for conduit?

Looks like the answer is no. Not that I have AC everywhere anyway, there is also some MC.

Last edited:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Neither is SUPPOSED to be.

Whatever dude....semantics.

Both are allowed to be and in some cases are required to be, as opposed to building a structure around it.

Your exposed AC inside is fine.

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. Can I run NM cable "Romex" inside conduit?

2. If "no" why not?

Yes, but unless you're simply sleeving it for physical protection, there's no need to use NM. THHN is the way to go for an all-pipe job.

BTW, the answer is "no" if the conduit is in a wet location (like outdoors or below grade).

lahabra

Reaction score
Did I get this right?

If run schedule 80 conduit in a dry crawl space under a house I can pull NM cable through it.

However if use the same conduit outside and strapped to the wall I am not permitted to pull regular NM cable through it.

Dose any one know where NEC address this?

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If run schedule 80 conduit in a dry crawl space under a house I can pull NM cable through it.

However if use the same conduit outside and strapped to the wall I am not permitted to pull regular NM cable through it.

Dose any one know where NEC address this?

334.12(B)(4). IN the 2005, it is vague and refers to 'exposed or subject to excessive moisture or dampness'. The inside of a raceway located outdoors is still an exterior location. In the 2008, it is clarified that NM cannot be installed in wet or damp locations.

Prashster

Reaction score
Sorry to jump in here late:

I was under the impression that when the romex is exposed - like in the app he's talking about, then it's required to be protected by conduit from puncture. I thought the prohibition of romex inside conduit was only for long runs, where heat dissipation is an issue.

When putting in switches and outlets in my own basement, i was counselled to run romex from the panel along the joists without conduit; the short run from the ceiling down to the outlet (~5 feet), however, was supposed to be conduited. Heat buildup in such a short run was not deemed a problem.

Please correct me if I'm wrong so I can rewire!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks