No idea what cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

jessb_55

Reaction score
So I've had issues with a slight drip from my tub facet since I bought the house in 2010 and I've replaced the cartridge and seats and seems to get a bit better but then comes back.

In the beginning I just replaced the cartridge with one that I thought was identical and so now I'm not even sure what brand my faucet is as the handles seem to be universal too. Is there any way to identify these if I don't even have the original plastic cartridges? Also, could it be possible that I just put the cartridge in wrong (it's the plastic type that has the two tabs on it that line up and slide into the metal piping.

From some research it look like maybe my faucet was a GOBO which may be affiliated with Gerber? Looks like most recently I installed a Delta cartridge could that be the issue?

Any advice would be so incredibly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0982.JPG
    IMG_0982.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1029.JPG
    IMG_1029.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 150

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I did a search and came up with this site. Shows three cartridges. Most manufactures have their own cartridges and are not interchangeable. Delta has there own valve body and will not fit any other valve body.

jessb_55

Reaction score
Thanks so much everybody!! Should I be pretty much safe to order any glacier bay cartridge then that looks similar to the one in my pics?

Would it be smart to order a whole new Glacier Bay faucet like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier...Chrome-Valve-Included-HD833CX-0001/304367687? or https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier...n-Chrome-Valve-Included-HD833X-0101/303783502

I wouldn't need the shower head as I have a handheld showerhead I already like and my spout for some reason is super short and the only ones I've been able to get to fit in the past have been "mobile home" variations so I would be wasting some money but I could also freshen things up with new handles and new flange covers. I'm hoping to maybe redo the shower in the next couple years so I don't need anything fancy but I just want to make sure I solve this problem once and for all and aren't just trying different Glacier Bay cartridges hoping they are the right ones....

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
?? You have a single handle tub and shower faucet. The links to HD is a dual handle faucet. That would require the wall to be opened up to replace the entire faucet valve body.

Replace the cartridge and if it no longer drips, look into the DANCO replacement trim parts. Since you are planning to do a remodel of the bathroom save your money. Depending on how you want to remodel the bathroom, it can get quite expensive. Four years ago I remodeled my main bathroom. Two sinks, new tub, marble tile, quartz counter, three cabinets, three Delta faucets. I hired a tiler and a plumber and a counter top fabricated. I installed the cabinets, mirrors, hardware, towel bars, sink faucets and it cost was over $12,000. If I went with plan tiles it might have save $2,000.

jessb_55

Reaction score
I currently have a two handle setup and hope to move to a single handle when I remodel, sorry for the confusion! Yes bathrooms and kitchens are so darn expensive, l have the kitchen done....I think in my case I'd just retile the shower or maybe if put a liner in at this point I don't care, I just know the grout has seen better days!

How do I know which Glacier Bay cartridge to try then? there seem to be a handful of models that all visually look the same and like I mentioned I don't have the original cartridge to reference.

Thanks

jessb_55

Reaction score
so i finally got the new cartridges, springs and seats and got them installed today. they basically look identical to the ones I took out which I think might have been Delta ones....the holes on the back are slightly different. I've attached a pic. My questions is how do I know which tab on the cartridge goes on the left or the right? I know it says to mimic like the old ones but being I don't think the correct cartridge has ever been installed so I just want to make sure I'm installing the new ones right. After installing the new ones I feel like the water is coming out of the tub spout in a more flared stream then a solid stream if that makes any sense. could that mean I put them in wrong? I tried flipping the cartidges around swapping the tabs from left to right and that didn't seem to make any difference unless I wasn't actually flipping anything around lol...I did notice once I went to put one of the cartridges back in it looks like a chunk of the tab is slightly scuffed/torn off, maybe I didn't get it quite lined up with the brass holder, it's so darn hard to see in there!

Attachments

• PXL_20230305_223420534.jpg
    PXL_20230305_223420534.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 113
  • PXL_20230305_223440356.jpg
    PXL_20230305_223440356.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 105
  • PXL_20230306_023033489.jpg
    PXL_20230306_023033489.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 95
  • PXL_20230305_232158444.jpg
    PXL_20230305_232158444.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 114

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Can't tell myself but usually with a two handle faucet, like a sink faucet, the cold water handle would turn clockwise, the hot side counter clockwise to open. Will this help?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
install if you dont like the way they turn swap them. generally as mentioned by worthflorida.

jessb_55

Reaction score
so does that mean they don't necessarily need to go a specific way? Also I'm still getting a little leakage for about 5 minutes after turning the shower off is that normal?

Another thing I've noticed and that often times my a.m. showers (i do like them hot) often times can't have any cold water turned on to be the temperature I'd like. This has been happening on and off for awhile now and I did recently replace the water heater. I am the only person living in my house too for what it's worth.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your shower is either the temp limit dial inside of it or your new water heater is set lower than you'd like. You could start by turning your water heater up to see if that helps. Unless you want to take your shower faucet apart also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks