No Hub Cast Iron Fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

JWT1010

Reaction score
I've taken a permit out to add 4pcs & 3pc bathrooms to our home. Both bathrooms are over a family room / bedroom so I bought cat iron No Hub fittings to reduce noise.

Most of the fitting have a ridge where the 2 sides of mold did not line up. The ridge can be removed/smoothed with a sanding disc. After sanding so some of the fittings still have a 1/64" wide line in the casting which I think may leak.

Would it be a good insurance plan to use a little silicone on all of the fittings just before putting the clamps on and torquing them?

JWT1010

Reaction score
GOOD fittings do NOT have that ridge.

The fitting are from Bibby, Tyler and AB&I.

There's not difference between 1 mfg. and another in the number that have ridges and those that don't. A few have been ground by the mfg. but then they missed the opposite side or the other end.

I was wondering if pro plumbers who know more go through the bins and take the best but that means 40-50% of the fittings are junk.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont sort them unless they are real bad , if it holds test it should be good.
you could touch it up with grinder.

JWT1010

Reaction score
I dont sort them unless they are real bad , if it holds test it should be good.
you could touch it up with grinder.

I spoke with a friend of a friend this morning who does new apartment buildings. They do the same as you do. Most of what they do has easy access so it may take 10-30min to change a fitting.

In my case the joist are 12" OC so everything will be locked in by the joists. Changing a fitting would involve cutting pipe or taking things apart from the top down.

Here's a 2" fittings with a ridge that I can't see how a clamp would seal next to one I've sanded with an 80 grit flap wheel.

Cast Iron.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
jwt1010, good plan I'd do that too on a job like that even a file to knock most of it off. you don't want water squirting out on your big screen.

JWT1010

Reaction score
jwt1010, good plan I'd do that too on a job like that even a file to knock most of it off. you don't want water squirting out on your big screen.

Thank You

Decided to use some 100% silicone sealant too. I don't want it to be like the fittings I see weeping when I have to park in an underground parking lot.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A file or grinder would likely be faster than sanding and less likely to leave a gouge.

JWT1010

Reaction score
A file or grinder would likely be faster than sanding and less likely to leave a gouge.

It takes about 20-40 sec / fitting with a 5" x 80 grit flap wheel on a 4 1/2"grinder

I'm sanding twice as many 2" fittings than 3" & 4" fittings

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks