No hot water or cold water pressure upstairs

Users who are viewing this thread

Aimee85

Reaction score
Hi i am really hoping someone can advise. Came home tonight on the hottest day of the year to find that we have no hot water at all and no water pressure upstairs. The cold kitchen sink tap is working fine but no hot water in kitchen, upstairs the hot taps don't work and the sink and bath cold tap are running very slowly with no pressure i cant get anything out of the shower at all. I would really appreciate people's advice on what i could try and suggestions of what could be wrong. I will get a plumber out pd needs be but would prefer to try and at least locate the issue first. Help please

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your shower valves, assuming they're not ancient, are probably doing what they are supposed to and that is, not working properly unless there's water pressure on BOTH inlets...it needs both hot and cold inputs to output the normal flow. If one's off, it won't output much even if opened fully.

Now, why you don't have hot water, can't say.

If it's not a valve someone closed, the things that come to mind are a failed heat trap on the water heater, or, if they used galvanized nipples on the inlet or outlet and they're old...they may have rusted enough to clamp off most of the flow. Well, if there's galvanized piping anywhere, it may have rusted enough to prevent proper flow.

If some major debris got in the lines, you may need to remove the aerators in the faucets and maybe remove the showerhead to check flow, and maybe restore it. On the shower, if you get flow out of the shower pipe after removing the head...debris may be the reason.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks