No hot water at tub after repair of leaking pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

David Edwards

Reaction score
Long story. Three years ago we had a hot water pipe leak under our slab. It ran from the garage to a downstairs guest bathroom (sink, toilet, and tub). A local leak detection company did an epoxy injection repair to the pipe, which lasted only 2 years, then the same pipe leaked again in the same place.

They came back out and this time they re-routed the line by running a flexible pipe from the garage through the ceiling and down the wall behind the bathroom vanity and reconnected it there.

Now it is about 11 months later and I went to use the tub in the room for the first time, and there is no hot water at the tub. It is a Moen single handle, installed about 2 years ago and rarely used, but I know it did have good hot water after it was installed.

Is it likely that they connected something wrong behind the vanity when they rerouted the hot water line and in the process the tub was left out of the hot water system?

To clarify at the tub, when I turn on the single handle there is strong cold water flow, but when I turn it all the way around to hot the water slows to a very, very weak flow, but remains cold water only.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A Moen Posi-Temp with pressure balancing?
It's possible that there wasn't hot run to that. What is the configeration of the plumbing fixtures in that bathroom?
Normally if I turn off the hot side, I won't get cold out of the faucet. I'm trying to think how that would work that you do get cold, but no hot. Those cartridges are easy enough to pull out and check.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
After 11 months of non-use, the pressure balancing spool could be stuck at the cold side. About the only way to be sure is to replace the core, unless you are lucky and it comes out without tearing it apart. If it is reusable, the turn on the water and see if the hot water comes out with the cold.

David Edwards

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Please excuse my rudimentary knowledge. I am uploading pictures of the room and the controlled for the tub if it helps. The hot water pipe that was re-routed ended up behind the vanity. The house is on a slab, and there were several copper pipes at the base of the wall behind the vanity. The photo attached shows the pipes, with the white flexible line that they ran patched in. This is at floor level behind the vanity.

Attachments

• IMG_1793.jpg
    IMG_1793.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_2674.JPG
    IMG_2674.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_2675.JPG
    IMG_2675.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 254
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks