No Hot Water after pressure tank freezing

Users who are viewing this thread

Allie852

Reaction score
about three weeks ago, our lines at the pressure tank froze due to extreme cold weather. We defrosted and ensure that there were no leaks. However, we have had no hot water since. We have replaced the hot water tank, as we thought that it might have damaged the element or other internal parts to the tank. We can only get warm water if two faucets are on. The bathroom closes to the hot water tank will give us hot water if the sink the kitchen is on but will only get warm water at that location. If we turn on the bathroom tub in the far bathroom, we will get warm water in the kitchen. Pressure does go down if all three are on at the same time. The bathroom closes to the hot water tank will be hot and the other two will be slightly warm. We have changed the sink faucet. We have checked all the lines, they are hooked up correctly. We have checked for sediment and nothing. We are at a complete loss. Help.... Anyone. LOL

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
about three weeks ago, our lines at the pressure tank froze due to extreme cold weather. We defrosted and ensure that there were no leaks. However, we have had no hot water since. We have replaced the hot water tank, as we thought that it might have damaged the element or other internal parts to the tank. We can only get warm water if two faucets are on. The bathroom closes to the hot water tank will give us hot water if the sink the kitchen is on but will only get warm water at that location. If we turn on the bathroom tub in the far bathroom, we will get warm water in the kitchen. Pressure does go down if all three are on at the same time. The bathroom closes to the hot water tank will be hot and the other two will be slightly warm. We have changed the sink faucet. We have checked all the lines, they are hooked up correctly. We have checked for sediment and nothing. We are at a complete loss. Help.... Anyone. LOL
By chance do you have a shower or tub rough in without the cartridge installed

Reach4

Reaction score
Plumber69 is identifying one of the common crossovers between hot and cold.

Close all of the hot stop valves (valves under sinks etc) that you can. See if that stopped the crossover.

Do you by chance have a utility sink with an adapter hooked up? Turn of the hot faucet for sure.

Allie852

Reaction score
Plumber69 is identifying one of the common crossovers between hot and cold.

Close all of the hot stop valves (valves under sinks etc) that you can. See if that stopped the crossover.

Do you by chance have a utility sink with an adapter hooked up? Turn of the hot faucet for sure.
We have tried that was well. I should have also note that everything was fine until the pressure tank lines froze

Reach4

Reaction score
We have tried that was well. I should have also note that everything was fine until the pressure tank lines froze
That makes 3 times.

Sounds like coincidence to me. A theory of causation would be interesting, but I cannot think of one.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
That makes 3 times.

Sounds like coincidence to me. A theory of causation would be interesting, but I cannot think of one.

Exactly. Just troubleshoot this like a weak hot water issue and forget the frozen pipes issue.

Is this an electric water heater? Check for 240VAC at the heater. If one of the phases is out, you'll only have 120V there. Could be electrical and unrelated to the freeze.

John

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Check for 240VAC at the heater. If one of the phases is out, you'll only have 120V there. Could be electrical and unrelated to the freeze.
I'd like to know how one could get 120V from a 240V circuit that has a dead leg. The dead leg would have to affect all the circuits on that half of the panel which surely would not go unnoticed.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I'd like to know how one could get 120V from a 240V circuit that has a dead leg. The dead leg would have to affect all the circuits on that half of the panel which surely would not go unnoticed.

Half a breaker bad or a bad wire under the screw or wire nut.

John

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Half a breaker bad or a bad wire under the screw or wire nut.
If you mean the water heater's breaker, that would result in zero volts, not 120V. Now, if one leg coming to the panel's main breaker was dead then half of the entire panel's 120V load would series connect those 120V loads through any/all 240V loads but then it surely should be noticed and mentioned.

Fitter30

Reaction score
4500 watt element 18.75 amps @ 240 vac. Can purchase a clamp on amp meter for $25. Harbor Freight carries them as maybe Walmart.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
..... our lines at the pressure tank froze due to extreme cold weather. ....... However, we have had no hot water since. We have replaced the hot water tank, .......... We can only get warm water if two faucets are on. The bathroom closes to the hot water tank will give us hot water if the sink the kitchen is on but will only get warm water at that location. If we turn on the bathroom tub in the far bathroom, we will get warm water in the kitchen. ..... The bathroom closes to the hot water tank will be hot and the other two will be slightly warm. We have changed the sink faucet. We have checked all the lines, they are hooked up correctly. We have checked for sediment and nothing. We are at a complete loss. Help.... Anyone. LOL
Allie, where is the pressure tank and is the water heater near by it, (basement, crawl space, etc.) Does the water heater provide any heat for the home? Is there a hot water line going to the garage or else where. My brother has both hot and cold and uses a wye shape hose connection to mix hot with the cold for washing cars in the winter.

When you get hot water as expected, how long does it last? Manu=y have made errors by turning by switching on th epower before the tank is full of water. I just installed a Rheem with my son and there was a big warning sign on the electrical connection box.

We all need to see a picture of the water heater piping. Somehow cold water is being mixed with hot water. With a well system, anything is possible when home was built. You need to follow the hot and cold pipes and look for a valve between the two. If there is one it would be off. Opened it will mix cold with the hot. Normally there would not one but you may never know.

As Reach4 suggested closing off the hot stop valve. He probably wanted to write cold only at all faucets including the washer and the tab/showers (not always possible). With all cold water stop valves closed all faucets can only have hot water. Any warm water or cold the problem is from the WH to the fixture. The valve in the cloths washer could have frozen and did damage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks