No gas shut off valve in new home?

Users who are viewing this thread

Twoellis

Reaction score
Just built a new home. Premium builder, energy efficient home. I just discovered there is no house-side gas shut-off valve. The required street side valve is there, as are the valves for individual appliances. Standard black pipe, nothing unusual. Is this acceptable? I’ve got all my neighbors talking now. We need to know, please?

Reach4

Reaction score
I think a shutoff at the input to the meter is normal, but I have not seen a whole-house gas shutoff after the meter in my limited experience.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some gas meters are installed with a shutoff on the outgoing side of the meter but most are not. Most of the new meters that I've been seeing in our area of the PNW USA have shut off valves on both sides of the meter.

PG&E diagrams

PSE Diagrams

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
In CA seismic valves required now in most areas.
I was chatting with the guys installing the gas mains in the street while I was installing a seismic valve at a house.. He said all the new infrastructure in the street is built with seismic metering (or some such) that drastically slows the amount of gas going through the mains.. effectively shutting off the system, but not fully. I didn't understand the concept fully, but he was telling me that the seismic valve I just installed was redundant.

Twoellis

Reaction score
I think a shutoff at the input to the meter is normal, but I have not seen a whole-house gas shutoff after the meter in my limited experience.
Thank you. It seems everything on the internet shows an inside as well as an outside valve. We certainly had both at our previous home. While it’s good to know our situation isn’t unusual!
Some gas meters are installed with a shutoff on the outgoing side of the meter but most are not. Most of the new meters that I've been seeing in our area of the PNW USA have shut off valves on both sides of the meter.

PG&E diagrams

PSE Diagrams
I don’t understand why they wouldn’t make that code.

Twoellis

Reaction score
I was chatting with the guys installing the gas mains in the street while I was installing a seismic valve at a house.. He said all the new infrastructure in the street is built with seismic metering (or some such) that drastically slows the amount of gas going through the mains.. effectively shutting off the system, but not fully. I didn't understand the concept fully, but he was telling me that the seismic valve I just installed was redundant.
Now that’s interesting!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
unusual to have a shut off at main on customer side except where they put a tee for pool or a bbq pit or guest house at meter then they are common but the house wont have shut off , I wont say never but cant remembere seeing them .

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm sure companies do it differently, but here we have a valve right where the high pressure gas comes out of the ground, then the meter, then a low pressure valve. This low pressure valve belongs to the gas company but we use them to shut off the gas. They get fussy about it, but we generally only do it when needed.

Take a picture of your gas train outside.

Twoellis

Reaction score
I'm sure companies do it differently, but here we have a valve right where the high pressure gas comes out of the ground, then the meter, then a low pressure valve. This low pressure valve belongs to the gas company but we use them to shut off the gas. They get fussy about it, but we generally only do it when needed.

Take a picture of your gas train outside.
Thank you. I finally got an answer from my builder's assistant. It isn't standard, so they just don't install it. Honestly doubt I'd ever need such a thing, but having had it in our previous home, it seemed a good safety measure.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you. I finally got an answer from my builder's assistant. It isn't standard, so they just don't install it. Honestly doubt I'd ever need such a thing, but having had it in our previous home, it seemed a good safety measure.
It isn't standard in the same way that having a physical switch at each and every light bulb isn't standard.

If you had no valve at the meter at all would be an actual cause for concern.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have always seen a gas company shut-off before the meter - if they ever need to change the meter it is much easier for them. Shut-offs after the meter were for add on lines and were used to test against without having to test the entire system.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
See? I never thought of such a thing. That's why I came to this web site. Thank you!
Its not safer to have a second valve as long as you can close that cas valve on company side the other valve (that you dont have) is just a slight convieniance but not a safety issue . if there is a leak at meter or regulator you want to be able to shut off gas company valve. they have wrenches or a crescent wrench works

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks