No flow from nearest faucets after water heater replaced

Users who are viewing this thread

2002sheds

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been doing most of the repairs around our house for over 30 years, but this one has me stumped...
I replaced the water heater in the garage, turned everything back on, opened the nearest hot water faucet (kitchen, next to garage), got tons of air rushing out, then nothing... I opened the cold faucet on the same sink, and also got nothing. The faucets that are further away are not affected and work fine. There is no aerator on the affected sink, so it is not grit blocking the flow.
I also opened the hot water faucet on the laundry sink in the garage, and it, too was "empty"... In that case, the cold water was fine.
I have no idea what to look for. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
David

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Shut the valve feeding the sink with no water and take the supply off. Check for water. Sometimes there's a screen between the valve and the supply to. The cartridges in the faucet can plugged up to

2002sheds

Reaction score
Shut the valve feeding the sink with no water and take the supply off. Check for water. Sometimes there's a screen between the valve and the supply to. The cartridges in the faucet can plugged up to

Hi,
Will do. It is strange to me that both hot and cold have ZERO water coming out of the nearest faucet (even if filled with grit), but your troubleshooting method makes sense. I will do some "surgery" and report back.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Also check the aerator on the faucet: remove it and see if you have water coming out the faucet.

PlumbingWay.com

Pasadena Plumbing
Reaction score
Website
www.plumbingway.com
i agree with Plumber69, we always install cap screen between the valve and the supply which at times will get clogged, should be an easy fix, please do update, we are all curios what the issue is.

thank you

2002sheds

Reaction score
Hi All,
Occam's Razor shows that the the solution to most problems is the simplest or most straightforward one. In other words, sometimes you can't fix stupid :)
I went to the laundry sink (also no flow from the hot side, and the same distance from the water heater) to remove the supply line and check for obstruction. Of course, I needed to turn off the supply valve before removing the line. Imagine my surprise when I found that the valve was already off! A quick turn, and hot water was supplied. Embarrassing. But the real fun was just beginning. Our kitchen faucet sticks out of the wall (older house), so I needed to shut off the main water supply to check the cylinders on the faucet. As a last measure before doing that, I removed the portable dishwasher adaptor fitting at the end of the spout to make certain that it did not (as I said earlier) have an aerator.
Well, of course it did. It was just way further up in the tube. I turned on the hot water which now came out at full blast), then the cold (same result), and inspected the components of the aerator, which was completely packed with grit. After a thorough cleaning, all was well.
I am posting this somewhat sheepishly. My hope is to remind myself and other people that having never seen something before has nothing to do with how to go about solving an issue. The simplest solution can still be (and often is) the correct one...there is no need to make it more complex.
Thanks to all that wrote in! It was your advice that got me back on the right track.

Thanks,
David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks