No Clogs - Garbage disposal waste backing up into other sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Sachin Soneji

Reaction score
Got the garbage disposal installed by plumber (never had one) and having problem with waste backing up into other sink as soon as garbage disposal is turned ON. Pic shows my setup. Plumber says my double sink are a problem and they are too low compared to wall drain outlet. Nothing can be done and the only way to fix would be to lower drain outlet which means redoing some of the cabinet

I don't think he is right. There should be some way to connect the pipes so that the waste flows to P-trap and not the other sink. If you look at my setup, when garbage disposal is turned on, the water rushes to other sink instead of dropping down to P-trap. Is it because once the waste water is out of the garbage disposal it has a very short run?

What could be a better way to connect the pipes?

Attachments

• IMG_5526.jpeg
    IMG_5526.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 617

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you sure that was a plumber?
Normally you would come straight out of the disposer to the other bowl and use a baffle tee for force the water downward.
They also make a reversing p-trap that would be much better than what was done there.

disposer-piping.jpg

reverse-p-trap-install.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
img_7.jpg
Plumber says my double sink are a problem and they are too low compared to wall drain outlet. Nothing can be done and the only way to fix would be to lower drain outlet which means redoing some of the cabinet
What is the altitude difference between the places at the green arrows in the picture? Use a level. A laser level is nice, but not necessary.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Trap arm could be too high . He either has no clue No skills or both. Get another plumber

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The only way this will drain properly as it is shown in Terry's first picture. Though the drain at the wall is a bit too high it it still will drain. A common problem with older homes when drop in shallow sinks were common and disposals were not all that common.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only way this will drain properly as it is shown in Terry's first picture. Though the drain at the wall is a bit too high it it still will drain. A common problem with older homes when drop in shallow sinks were common and disposals were not all that common

Easy fix for real plumber not so easy if your not.
To the O.P. if you want to attempt let us know but way it stands you need to re do that work

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks