No clearance between tank and wall

Users who are viewing this thread

newbrain

Reaction score
We are installing 5/8" AZAK beadboard to bathroom but our toilet tank abuts the wall - zero clearance. This is my first post so I need help. It is a 12" rough in with a Briggstoilet 1.6gpf/6 Lpf.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It seems lile you have two choices. Either replace the toilet or cheat it forward a little. My American Standard toilets centred on a 12" rough-in have more than an inch of clearance behind the tank.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"Cheating the toilet forward a little" can create many problems. Get a toilet which does NOT need the full 12", assuming your pipe in the floor IS at exactly 12".

toilet-tank-in-wall-02.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It may not be good form to dis your choice of toilets, but the Briggs are really not a recommended toilet by most of the pros on this forum, so if a new toilet is in your future, why not go with a high quality one. The rough-in number can be very confusing. Most toilets require less space than their listed rough-in size. For example, I have 2 Toto toilets, different models, that are on 12" rough-in flanges. Exactly 12". There is approximately 2" space behind these toilets. I would suggest to you that this would be a good time to greatly improve the quality of your toilet, and meet the remodeling needs at the same time.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless the toilet is used repeatedly so the incoming water to the tank gets cold enough to cause condensation, it won't cause problems with the tank touching. Most newer toilets do not evacuate all of the water in the tank, so often, it is room temp, then add some cold, it may not get below the dew point and condense as they mix. The outlet of the toilet is smaller than the opening in the toilet flange, so you can safely get at least 1/4" or so while still having the toilet's outlet pointing down the flange and still be able to anchor the bolts. It becomes a major problem if it isn't, though. You also must ensure you get a good wax seal, and shifting it too far will potentially prevent that from happening, so moderation is the key.

newbrain

Reaction score
great advice

Thanks Gary for the advice. We had Toto toilets when we were in NC. This one came with the house. Thanks to all for your suggestions. Great forum!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks