No brine draw & high salt usage

Users who are viewing this thread

Pat5600

Reaction score
Greetings, Noticed that the brine tank has 15" of water in it, (normal 3-4") and I am seeing the salt level go down about 1 ft over 2 weeks. Things that I have do so far. I have removed all but about 3 inches of excess water, next gen the level was high again.

1. removed brine line, drain line, BLFC all not clogged.
2. removed float, checked valve etc, appears normal
3. used 1 quart water, placed blfc line (float end) into it, no suction or water removed after 5 minutes.

[ City water 9.8 Hardness, 5600SXT, BLFC 0.5, 2 people, 1cf brine changed 2 months ago]. Suggestions appreciated. Pat

DF - Display format Gallon
VT - Valve Type df1b
CT - Control Type Fd
NT - # Tanks 1
C - Unit Capacity 24
H - Hardness 15
RS - Reserve RC
RC - Reserve Capacity 250
DO - Day override 8
RT - Regen Time 2:15 AM
BD - Brine Draw 60
BW - Backwash 10
RR - Rapid Rinse 10
BF - Brine Fill 6
FM - Flow Meter Type P0.7 (verified)

blfc.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
Is this a 9x48 inch tank?

6 minute BF cycle should add 3 gallons. Are you saying that it added much more than that during one regen?

Does the water only get added during the brine fill (BF) cycle, or also other times.

I am wondering if the brine valve has a problem. The brine valve should only be open during BF and BD.

For brine draw problem, look for a clogged injector or injector screen. The injector has two parts.

Test #3 was during the BD cycle?

Pat5600

Reaction score
I took out the brine water down to just above the bottom grate. Next time I checked it, 1 maybe 2 regens it was back up again. (measured it this a.m. and it was 15 inches). Have not checked when brine fills, but guess will have to do it in the day time. I loosened the connector to the float, lots of pressure during BF. Brine valve? guessing I have to take apart the head to check?

[Just checked internet, brine valve, white with spring around it, 2 "O" rings etc.?? ]

If you are talking about the valve on the float, yes I did take it out and blew on the intake, moved the float up and down, it did close when float is high. I did take out the injector, it was clean and could see thru it, seen no screen??

Yes 9x48 and Test #3 was during the BD cycle Tx Reach...

Reach4

Reaction score
Brine valve access does not require removing the valve. It is opened and closed with a cam.

Do you have a service manual? https://www.impactwaterproducts.com/_files/ugd/a3c37f_8e2b6eb1f7e54b70a991f93802f6f396.pdf

If each regen only adds about 3 gallons of water, the problem would be no brine draw.
looks into the injector area.

But if more is being added not just during BF, then there would probably be a second problem. If you remove the back cover, you will see the top of the piston. The brine valve would be to the left of the piston (as viewed from behind)

Last edited:

Pat5600

Reaction score
Yes I do. Just did a D/L. of the service manual

UPDATE: Removed all the water via a hand pump this afternoon. Measurements were about 3/8" brine. Did a 6 minute BF and the measured level is 6.25". Will let it sit overnight, remeasure and then do a regen tomorrow. Bought a new clear drain hose and will replace it also, will be able to see the brine mix going out to the drain. Will post back with the results. Tx again for the help.... Pat

Last edited:

Pat5600

Reaction score
Had some success today, hoping it is permanent. Verified that all the lines are clear. Replaced the drain line and opened up the back of the controller. Put a little silicone grease on the cam and ran a BD, no draw. Removed the hose off of the float and placed it into a jar of water, still nothing. Put the end of the hose in my mouth {should not do that] and blew but felt restriction, tried again and then something got cleared. Placed the hose back into the glass jar full of water and it sucked it dry in about 30 seconds. Next connected to float and I could hear the suction going on. Water lever was about 8" and it sucked it down to 3/4" in about 10 minutes and began to suck air. Bypassed BD and went to BF and 6 minutes later had 8" of water in tank.

What ever I cleared I am sure will be back, but for now I will say it is back to normal. 8" of brine water is a little high for my thinking, maybe change it from 6 to 5 and see how the water level is. ??

I watched the cam rotate and seen how it put pressure on the brine valve through the whole cycle. Tx Reach for your help.

BD.JPG

Pic above showing the brine valve in action during BD.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
8" of brine water is a little high for my thinking, maybe change it from 6 to 5 and see how the water level is. ??
The BF setting is to be directly related to the amount of capacity to be regenerated as well as the BLFC flow restrictor that is installed.

Because your Capacity setting is currently 24 (24,000 grains) for your softener containing 1 ft3 resin, then 8 lbs salt will be required each cycle to regenerate 24K grains capacity.

As your control valve is equipped with a 0.5 GPM BLFC, then 6 minutes BF will cause 3 gallons water to enter the brine tank. Because 3 lbs salt will be dissolved in each gallon of water, then 9 lbs salt will be dissolved each cycle.

Because the BF setting is only whole minutes, then reducing the BF setting to 5-minutes will result in only 2.5 gallons to enter, which will cause only 7.5 lbs salt to be dissolved. 7.5 lbs is less than the 8 lbs needed to regenerate 24K grains capacity. Suggest keeping the 6-minute BF setting to continue to regenerate all 24K grains Capacity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks