No. 95 tinning flux over No. 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Curious about which lead free solder to use. Seems everyone is saying to use the Oatey No.95 tinning flux.
Why is No 5 flux even an option, in what example would you use No 5 over No 95 flux? They seem like the same price? Why not use No. 95 tinning flux for all your joints?
In house copper plumbing only, not for drain, waste or venting.

Reach4

Reaction score
Tradition?

Oatey H-205 water based tinning flux is another candidate. I liked the 95.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No 5 is petroleum based, No 95 is water based...you aren't supposed to use petroleum based stuff on potable water these days, but it would work fine (easier to use) on things like hydronic heating systems. The petroleum based stuff doesn't burn out as easily as the water based stuff if you overheat the joint...IOW, it's a little more forgiving than water based stuff, and 95 won't pollute your potable water - the petroleum in 5 will take MUCH longer to purge out as it's not soluble, leaving a funky taste in the water.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Okay, my bad...the difference between the two fluxes is the addition of powdered solder in the No. 95. From my experience, for someone that doesn't solder every day or have all that much experience, using a tinning flux makes things a bit easier. You can see when the solder in the flux melts and know the joint is hot enough to then add your additional solder to finish up the joint. Otherwise, it's fairly easy to overheat the joint, creating scorched spots inside, and the solder won't flow properly that can lead to leaks. A water based flux is still better as I find it leaves less of a funky taste and clears sooner than non-water based ones. http://www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/chemicals-of-concern/petrolatum/

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
everflux water soluble real popular stuff with potable water in my area non potable no korode still a big seller . might have bought otay once at a big box store most the shops I know use everflux and no korode .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks