NM running along interior Brick wall protected by steel C channel

Users who are viewing this thread

MGotcha

Reaction score
My 1970's stuccoed cinder-block wall house has an 6ft interior vertical run of NM cable along a section of the wall and the cable has steel 'C' channel nailed over it for protection. This is in a closet where the cable goes to an outlet on the opposing side of the wall and appears to be original. Is this appropriate and if so can I drywall over this?

IMG_20200930_142353914 - Copy - Copy.jpg IMG_20200930_142432107 - Copy.jpg IMG_20200930_142443724 - Copy.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The steel channel is appropriate if the steel thickness is at least 1/16" (NEC 300.4(F)). In that case you could drywall over it. Looks like the channel may need to be a hair longer at the bottom--the cable should be protected by the steel until it is at least 1-1/4" away from the backside of your new drywall.

Cheers, Wayne

MGotcha

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I can reposition the channel down a bit as it extends into the attic a few extra inches.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks