Nibco 600, Help identifying shower handle

Users who are viewing this thread

Cherrera

Reaction score
I need help identifying this shower handle, missing the center piece. There is a black button on it , I do not know what it did but it no longer works. House built in 87 , plumber thought maybe an American Standard but I have searched and cannot find one similar. The water only runs hot so trying to find a replacement to fix that issue.

shower handle.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
This might be it. There is one picture with the cap off but it looks a little different. Yours might have a broken part the extends into the handle.

If you can take off the trim plate and take a picture of the valve body it might help.

Here is one that looks closer. I'm searching on old Price Pfister shower trim

Last edited:

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The valve is Nibco #600
Cartridge # N1300-5-0
Handle # N1301-9-0
The handle is removed by pressing the black button and pulling straight off.
If you need the escutcheon plate let me know.

nibco-parts-01.jpg

nibco-n1300-5-0.jpg

Attachments

• Nibco600.pdf
    154.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited by a moderator:

Cherrera

Reaction score
The valve is Nibco #600
Cartridge # N1300-5-0
Handle # N1301-9-0
The handle is removed by pressing the black button and pulling straight off.
If you need the escutcheon plate let me know.
yes! I thought this was it but to be sure I searched it and found a picture of it on another post, it is exactly the one! on that post they had a link which I used to find this whole rebuild kit, do you think I need the whole thing or just replace the cartridge and handle? The plumber said it was the handle that was causing the hot water issue, he was there for a toilet issue and had to research what brand this was ( and I have not heard back). I am so impressed with this site and help I received! Thanks!

nibco-600-series-02.jpg

Cherrera

Reaction score
This might be it. There is one picture with the cap off but it looks a little different. Yours might have a broken part the extends into the handle.

If you can take off the trim plate and take a picture of the valve body it might help.

Here is one that looks closer. I'm searching on old Price Pfister shower trim
Another poster found it but thank you so much for your help, I love this site!

Cherrera

Reaction score
yes! I thought this was it but to be sure I searched it and found a picture of it on another post, it is exactly the one! on that post they had a link which I used to find this whole rebuild kit, do you think I need the whole thing or just replace the cartridge and handle? The plumber said it was the handle that was causing the hot water issue, he was there for a toilet issue and had to research what brand this was ( and I have not heard back). I am so impressed with this site and help I received! Thanks!

View attachment 87273
oh and another point my father brought up, if I want to upgrade to a more modern looking handle can I do that or will it require changing out the valve? I am looking not to spend a lot since I want to replace both bathrooms, even though the other one still works fine.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Each brand of valve bodies, cartridges and trims are not interchangeable. You still can get a new trim plate https://www.faucetshark.com/Nibco-Faucet-Parts-s/16541.htm

To modernize the entire valve body needs to be changed. If there is a wall on the backside of the valve body, opening the wall makes it possible to do a complete replacement without having to remove tile.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It sounds like now would be a good time to go with new shower valves. The ones you have now will be harder and harder to get parts for, and there is no balancing for temperature like the new ones have.

Cherrera

Reaction score
It sounds like now would be a good time to go with new shower valves. The ones you have now will be harder and harder to get parts for, and there is no balancing for temperature like the new ones have.
We decided to try out the new kit for now and plan to change out valves at a later date. We installed them today and it was fairly simple. However now both of the showers start out full pressure and cold but as they turn to hotter the pressure goes down a lot. To the point it’s going to be hard to take a warm / hot shower. We cannot figure out what went wrong. Any ideas?

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds like bad cartridges. The chrome plungers on the bottom of the cartridge control the temperature. When you first turn on the valve the cold plumger begins to open. As you continue to turn the handle the hot plunger opens and the cold retracts. You can test this with the cartridge removed from the valve. The factory cartridge is now sold through Pheonix Faucets # N1300-5-0

Cherrera

Reaction score
ok, well that is a bummer since these are brand new included in the entire kit for the handle. We put the old ones back on and they work the same , now the upstairs one drips from the bath faucet though :(. It is so frustrating. I can try new cartridges from this place you recommend and see it they work out. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks