Niagara Flapper Closes Too Quickly - 1.6 GPF Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Haselmaier

Reaction score
I have a 1.6 GPF toilet (circa 1995 or so) that does not empty the tank completely when it it flushed. The flapper closes very quickly. The only way to get a complete tank emptying is to hold down the handle.

I replaced the flapper. I put in a Fluidmaster adjustable flapper and, even with it on max flow setting, the flapper still closes early.

I have three of these toilets in my house. The other two work fine. I looked at the setups of the ones that are working well and I noticed on the ones that work well there is no water between the plastic tank "liner" that can be seen in the photo and the ceramic walls of the tank itself. However on the toilet I'm having troubles with, there *IS* water between that liner and the ceramic tank. That water in the gap between the plastic liner and the ceramic walls is at the same height of the water in the plastic liner.

When the toilet is flushed that water between the walls does NOT get reduced....it stays there until the tank refills. Last night prior to going to bed I shut off the supply line and did a complete flush. This morning that extra water in the gap was gone. I turned the supply line back on, filled the tank, and slowly the water level between the plastic and ceramic tank is rising.

I'm assuming this excess water is contributing to the incomplete tank emptying in some way. I should know my physics better - but maybe there is too much water pressure so that the air bubble in the flapper can't stay elevated during the flush? It seems "obvious" there is a leak in this plastic liner.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Jim

Attachments

• 20180310_074013.jpg
    20180310_074013.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 279

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I was going to say that they're not supposed to completely empty the tank, but the Niagaras are an unusual design so I don't know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks